3)

"O you who have believed, eat from the good things which We have provided for you and be grateful to Allah if it is [indeed] Him that you worship."

[Qur'an 2:172]

This verse enlightens us about the knowledge of halaal (permissible/lawful) and haraam (non-permissible/unlawful/ forbidden). Good things in the verse means everything that Allah has declared permissible or halaal for us.

In the very next ayah, Allah clears the meaning of the above ayah.

"He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah. But whoever is forced (by necessity), neither desiring (it) nor transgressing (it's limit), there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

[Qur'an 2:173]

Allah (SWT) has declared everything as halaal except for the meat of pig (including the fat or any substance made from it), dead animals (the eggs of dead animals is also included in this category), blood, and any other animal that has not been slaughtered in the name of Allah.

But since Allah (SWT) is Gentle and Loving, He gave permission to eat any of the above mentioned on the condition that a person is forced (this is applicable when a person is lost in a forest and has been hungry for days or if an enemy of our religion forces one to eat any of the mentioned on the stake of his life. In these cases, a true man of Allah will purify his thoughts and eliminate any feeling of desire and transgressing limits of Allah. Allah will surely decide in his favour).

Regarding wine, alcohol and any intoxicant, Allah has betided the following verses.

“They ask you about intoxicants and gambling. Say, "In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit..." 

[Qur'an 2:219]

“O you who believe! Intoxicants, games of chance, sacrifices to idols and divination by arrows are a loathsome evil of Satan’s doing; so turn wholly away from it so that you may prosper.” 

[Qur'an 5:90]

The Qur'an categorically says that any sin is Haraam- forbidden. An act which harms an individual, society and humanity - any offence against a principle or standard are defined as sin. Hence any act of sin is forbidden in Islam- in any religion. Here is the verse to ponder:

Say, 'My Lord has only forbidden (Harrama -حَرَّمَ) indecencies- open or secret, and sins ( الْإِثْمَ ), and unjustifiable aggression, and that you associate with Allah that for which He has sent down no authority, and that you say of Allah what you know not.'"

[Qur'an 7:33]

So, intoxicants and gambling are not only sin but great sin; hence it is absolutely forbidden, according to definition of prohibition stated in the verse 7:33 mentioned above.

In the verse 2:219 God says that it has some benefits as well; so people take this verse lightly - casually. But one has to remember that all the sins have attractions and some instant benefits associated with it. That’s the reason people are tempted to commit sins which are the Satan’s work to lure us. So, due to these instant benefits there is no reason to undermine the gravity of the sins associated with the consumption of intoxicants.

Hence the verse 2:219 is the conclusive verse prohibiting the consumption of intoxicants because here in this verse God declares that it is a Great Sin. But men rarely comply with God’s commandments instantly – especially when the problem is deep-rooted. Hence God repeats His reminders in multiple places in the Quran, in various ways.

But the people who wish to transgress the limits of Allah say that alcohol (and other intoxicants) are allowed in Islam but they are advised not to be taken. Like, do you see who the Advisor is? It is Allah. And Allah wants what is the best for us.

Before a person does something, he must always pause and think, what would Allah want him to do? During the time of the prophet (S.A.W) when the verse of the prohibition of intoxicants was revealed, the streets of Madinah were FLOODED with alcohol because people were throwing it out.

On another note, I just think it's sad Muslims today are trying so hard to assimilate into society (by means of drinking, smoking, etc) rather than striving to achieve excellence. Just remember Islam doesn't need you, YOU need Islam, and therefore God. If it's not something good, then why do it?

The prophet (SAW) said: "A small quantity of anything of which a large quantity is intoxicating is prohibited."

Lastly and most importantly, Allah has taught us to be grateful to him for the uncountable blessings he has showered us with.

Things we learnt:

> Blood, swine, alcohol (and other intoxicants), and any animal that is not slaughtered in the name of Allah is prohibited.

> These are the lurings of Shaytaan and Allah has clearly told us to stay away from them. The most important thing for a believer is that he should recognize a Satanic thought or attack instantly. Once it is realized, Satan can not win against a believer.

"Ever feeble indeed is the plot of Shaytaan (Satan)."

[Qur'an 4:76]

“O you, who have believed, enter into Islam completely [and perfectly] and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy. But if you deviate after clear proofs have come to you, and then know that Allah is the Exalted in Might and Wise.”

[Qur'an, 2:208-209]

> Always be thankful to Allah. We can never count his blessings so we should thank him countlessly.

May Allah guide us to the right path. Ameen.
Wama alayna illal balaghul mubeen.