(Ouma x Saihara) Break The Cycle

Beginne am Anfang

"G-Give it back! I need to return it to the library!" Shuichi asked trying to reach for the book as Ouma laughed. "Too bad so sad Saihara-chan!" he simply laughed. At this point, Shuichi had become agitated. He grabbed onto the ends of the book and tugged forward retrieving the book but in the process...

making Ouma fall over and hit the side of his head against the hard concrete.

It took Shuichi a second to recover and process what happened. But he wasn't given much time to think as he saw that Ouma had been knocked unconscious and that blood was slowly making its way onto the ground. He dropped the book.

"O-Ouma-kun?" he stuttered hoping it was another prank, another lie. No response. Maki, Kaede, and Kaito had managed to witness the entire fiasco and were also now staring dumbfounded unsure what to do.

"I'll go get the teacher." Maki spoke as she sprinted off. It all went by in a flash to Shuichi. He didn't remember how long it took Maki to bring the teacher, how long it was until the ambulance came. How long until he calmed down. He put Ouma in the hospital. He felt Kaede put her hand on his shoulder.

"He'll be fine. After all, it's Ouma we're talking about" she smiled reassuringly. Shuichi simply nodded. He's fine. He has to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He wasn't fine.

Ouma was far from fine.

Kokichi had hit his head hard and for the next week he didn't wake up. Shuichi came by to visit him every day feeling guilty for the entire ordeal and occasionally his busy mother and older cousin Celestia who lived far away would pop in as well.

Today Shuichi and Celestia were sitting in the room chatting. Shuichi occasionally glanced back at the boy lying at the hospital bed, a look of sorrow in his eyes. He felt Celeste place a hand on his.

"There is no need for you to sulk anymore Shuichi...I know you did not mean it." she spoke. Shuichi nodded not really believing in the words she spoke. He was responsible, he knew it. Celeste let out a sigh standing up. 

"I'll just grab myself some coffee. I left my thermos in the car" she spoke standing up. Shuichi almost chuckled at her pickiness. Celeste always brought her own thermos because she thought that getting her coffee from the hospital coffee dispenser was the equivalent of drinking dirt water.

He looked at the ground fumbling with the fabric of the white sheet covering Ouma. 'I just want you to wake up again. I want to say I'm sorry...' he thought to himself as saying those words just felt too much for him. He then noticed the fabric shift. He looked up only to see purple eyes stare at him in confusion. Tears welled up in his eyes.

"Ouma-kun" he spoke almost in a whisper. The boy tilted his head to the side.

...

"Eh? W-Who are you?"

Shuichi felt as if the world has stopped. This had to be a prank? No way did he...he couldn't have. "Ouma-kun now's not the time for jokes" he chuckled nervously but Ouma just stared at him dumbfounded.

"J-Joking...?... I'm not joking. I really d-don't know who y-you are." he spoke quietly. Fear engulfed Shuichi. Did Ouma have amnesia? Did that mean he really didn't remember? He didn't get any time to respond as Celeste walk in with a doctor. Once she saw him she immediately smiled. "Oh cousin I'm so glad you've woken up!" she spoke. The boy just looked at her even more confused.

"Cousin...?" he asked. Celeste didn't show it but Shuichi could tell she was confused. The doctor immediately seemed to understand the situation.

"Ouma do you remember anything before your accident?" he asked. Ouma shook his head "W-W-What a-accident?" he asked. "So it looks like it's what we feared. When you fell you suffered quite severe head trauma which might've caused you to develop retrograde amnesia." the doctor stated. Celeste gasped covering her mouth. For Shuichi it felt like he would faint any minute, he didn't only cause an injury and a coma, he caused his memory loss.