(Ouma x Saihara) You're Not Alone (Happy Birthday Kichi!)

Kokichi never understood birthday parties.

It wasn't because he hated them and didn't want anything. 

It was because he never had one.

His entire life Kokichi came from one struggle to the next unable to get a break from anything. From being taken away from his parents and placed at an orphanage, to getting shuffled through different foster homes like a stuffed toy, to living on the streets with his gang of pranksters, living on the bare minimum. During this entire process, he never had time to celebrate. He either didn't have stability in life and had other things on his mind or he didn't have anyone he could celebrate with because of constant abandonment.

And now he was at Hope's Peak and everything seemed okay again.

Emphasis on 'seemed'

While Kokichi finally had his life somewhat sorted out, since he was sleeping in a dorm room and not in an abandoned building, he had grown so untrustworthy of others that he chose not to socialize in case anyone was to backstab him in the end. He thought that after everything it's best to drive everyone away and cut everyone new out, because getting attached almost never worked out for him. But one person he simply couldn't cut out.

The Ultimate Detective, Shuichi Saihara.

Shuichi seemed to never give up him, no matter what prank he decided to pull and no matter he said and would show him kindness despite his obviously shitty behavior and he'd hang out with him often. He seemed to genuinely like and care for him which was rare, to say the least. Kokichi didn't understand it at all and hated the fact he had gotten attached to that cute emo for the life of him.

Months passed and as their bond strengthened eventually, Ouma allowed himself to get attached and chose to let his barriers down. Not the entirely but the gate was open and the little bits of his underlying emotions crept their way into their conversations for the detective to find. He clearly couldn't live without the boy to comfort him when he was sad, to laugh at his jokes, to read books with him. They were essentially, at least on Kokichi's side, best friends. And then he realized.

He was in love with him.

Goddamnit.

It was true. Everything about Shuichi Kokichi loved. He loved his blueberry-smelling hair, his olive eyes, the way he smiled at Kokichi's shenanigans, even the way he pushed down his hat when flustered. The way he cared about his friends. If you ever heard that song by Bo Burnham 'Lower Your Expectations' to Kokichi Shuichi was literally the embodiment of the dream boy he wished for. And also someone who he considered way out of his league who would never settle for him.

It was his birthday and Kokichi wandered around the school before choosing to go back to his room and enjoy his birthday in solitude as always. He didn't have DICE in town to talk to and no friends here to celebrate with. Shuichi was an option but he told him earlier today he was busy with something and couldn't hang out which Kokichi understood. When he stopped in front of his dorm room he spotted a blue post-it note on it.

Come to classroom 1-A at 4 pm
-Shuichi

This intrigued Kokichi and his grin widened. He looked over at his watch. Ten minutes till the time he was supposed to show up. He shrugged. Why the heck not? He headed back for the direction of the classroom. Once he stood in front of the door he paused. What could Shuichi want from him? He took a deep breath and opened the door.

His eyes widened.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY KOKICHI!"

Kokichi stood in the doorway confused as he stared at the sight before him. Everyone from his class was here along with the DICE members. On the desks was food presumably made by Kirumi. There was a stack of gifts in the corner and confetti on the floor along with your basic decor like colorful balloons. And in the middle of it all stood Shuichi.