(Ouma x Saihara) Piano

(Mentioned that in my headcanons book, Ouma can actually play piano. So I wrote an angsty oneshot about it. And yes I only found Lost Ones Weeping Synthesia)

Me and Ouma had just finished lessons and were already walking home when I remembered.

It's Monday.

"What's wrong my beloved~?" Ouma looked at me, surprised. I stopped, sighing. I didn't want to cancel my plans with Ouma.

"Sorry Ouma, It's Monday. Kaede and I have piano lessons now." I saw him flinch at the word piano. I didn't now why, but I didn't give it too much thought. "Unless you wanna come with...?" He seemed in thought for a moment before grinning and nodding his head. I knew Ouma well enough to know that he was hiding the fact he was actually reluctant.

"Anything for you, my beloved Saihara~. But I won't be playing, I'm only gonna listen kay?" he said. I nodded as we headed for the music room. Kaede was already there, playing a random tune. She smiled warmly at us and waved.

"Hi Saihara! Oh I see you brought Ouma! Will he want to play the piano too?" she asked curiously. I looked at Ouma. Why was he so uncomfortable being in this room? His eyes tried to avoid the piano, but he tried not to make that obvious. "Actually...Ouma said he'd rather just stay and listen." Ouma sat in a corner in the room on a small chair. He seemed relieved to not play but uncomfortable he has to be here. A part of me wanted ask him what's making him so uncomfortable, but I didn't.

We started playing a couple of songs Kaede taught me and then some new ones she wanted me to practice. In the end, she played one of her new favorite piano songs and cheerfully sang the lyrics. I saw Ouma smile at us playing but there was still a glint of some kind of... well I didn't really know how to describe it. Was it discomfort, annoyance... fear? It was really unclear. After Kaede finished her melody, she looked at Ouma.

"Ouma, would you like to pla-" "NO!" Ouma suddenly snapped, gritting his teeth. Both of us were surprised at this sudden outburst. However he quickly calmed down and giggled his signature laugh. "Sorry~! I just don't want to play your stupid instrument, Cryaede" There was definitely something wrong with Ouma today. He never acted this tense and this was obviously a mask. "Ouma, are you okay? Ever since we mentioned the word piano, you look very uncomfortable." Ouma stared at us with a bored expression. "Fine... If my beloved wants me to play the piano so much, I will. But only because I love you." he said as he sat down by the piano. What surprised me was... he took out the paper with the notes from his bag. Did he have it there to begin with. He put the notes. Kaede immediately recognized the pattern.

"That's Lost Ones Weeping... It's not an amateur thing to play. Are you sure you want to play this?" Kaede said, however Ouma didn't answer. He just started playing. He didn't look at us completely focused on the keyboard in front of him. We watched in amazement. Ouma... played a lot better than me. He played it almost perfectly. When he was finished he just stared at the keyboard. Just as we were about to compliment him, he said something.

"I despise piano."

He whispered this but both of us heard it. We looked at each other in confusion. What...? "My mom always forced me to play it... I used to stay up for hours, as she stared controlling if I played everything perfectly. If I played a new song incorrectly, I would get punished. No food for a couple of days or being locked in the dark basement for a day, no lights, bed or anything. I felt hatred for this instrument for putting me through that torture" We stared quietly. Both of us didn't know what to say. Ouma had suffered all that because of an instrument. No wonder he felt uncomfortable in this room.

"Ouma we're so sorry.... we didn't know that you had to go through all that." Shuichi said sadly. Ouma hugged Shuichi, or more like immediately latched onto him tightly. "Why...why does it still haunt me...? That...woman...she's gone now... so why didn't the nightmares stop?WHY CAN I STILL HEAR THE PIANO AND HER YELLS IN MY DREAMS?!" he cried out. Kaede looked upset. She didn't like to see people crying, and in this case, she couldn't do much to help. Ouma never talked about his past, he also never went to his family on Christmas, occasionally he just visited DICE. And on Mother's day, he never brought his mom. He had never used the phrase "I'll ask my parents" it was always "I'll ask my friends" for some reason. Now they knew the reason.

"Ouma, it takes time. It won't go away instantly. But we'll all help you push past those feelings. We won't let you suffer through this alone." Shuichi knelt down and wiped off Ouma's tears. Ouma kept crying but tried to smile at Shuichi. "Yeah Ouma! You shouldn't have suffered any of that, because you don't deserve it. We'll try to make your life better" Ouma stopped shivering and was just sniffling now. He smiled. "You already have... You're the only thing that make me feel better than anything" Ouma said "Except Panta.". "Wow. Way to kill the moment?" said Shuichi to which Kokichi giggled. Ouma, Shuichi and Kaede group hugged.

"Hey guys, how about we wrap this lesson up short and just go grab us ice cream" Kaede said with quite the happy voice. Ouma and Shuichi nodded. "I think I know a great little place not far from school." Shuichi said "Well why don't we head there?" Ouma's eyes lit up. Ouma was always about treats like ice cream. They all headed in the direction of the parlor.

They were gonna be alright.