Treasure Hunt (6)

Chapter 6

Jennifer Smith

“Have you rethought my preposition?” Mason asked Jennifer the second she walked inside the school building.

“What preposition, Mason?” Jennifer asked flatly, being as polite as she could.

She was really losing her patience when it came to that guy.

“Me, you, dinner, tonight,” Mason wiggled his eyebrows at her.

“Have you not gotten the message that I am not interested yet?” Jennifer questioned him.

“I just thought you would eventually at least consider it. When you realize how amazing I am and all,” Mason told her, a self-satisfied smile on his face.

“That is your biggest problem, you know,” Jennifer told him.

She hadn’t even bothered to look at him while they had talked.

“What? That I’m too amazing for you? Yeah, that may be a problem, but most girls don’t care about that,” Mason said.

“I meant your arrogance. It really is too bad it doesn’t fit you,” Jennifer said with a sigh, as is she was disappointed.

“Well, I can drop the arrogance for you, sweetheart,” Mason told her, in another hopeless attempt at getting her to agree.

Jennifer stopped and turned on her heel to look at him.

“I’m going to say this in a way you might understand it. I think I have told you before actually,” Jennifer looked down for a moment before she met his gaze again. “I. Have. A. Boyfriend.”

“You’ve told me before. I know you have a boyfriend, but I must be a lot better than any other guy,” Mason smirked as he talked.

“And again with the arrogance,” Jennifer said as she rolled her eyes and started to walk again.

“You know you love me!” Mason called after her.

Jennifer didn’t bother say or do anything to show she heard what he said. It wasn’t true anyway.

The first classes flew by fast. Before she knew it, Jennifer was seated in one of the wooden chairs in the library during lunch. Her eyes scanned the page of the book she was reading at the moment. But no matter how normal the day felt, Jennifer couldn’t shake of the feeling that something was going to change. She didn’t know if it was for better or worse, but it was something big.

****

“Jennifer,” Mr. Smith met her smiling by the front door after school. “How was your day?”

“Fine,” Jennifer answered. She didn’t even look his way before she was on her way up the stairs.

“No details? Did you make some new friends?” he questioned as he followed her up.

“No, you don’t get any details. You were a part of why I got kidnapped, and I have not forgiven you yet,” Jennifer told him coldly.

“It’s not like that, Jennifer. I’ve tried to tell you several times,” Mr. Smith sighed.

“It’s not just that either. I just can’t believe that you would use your only daughter as a guinea pig for your sick and twisted science project!” Jennifer yelled.

It was the first time she had accused him of the things Niall had planted in her head. But it felt good to get it out.

“Wait, did you just say science project?” Mr. Smith asked her.