Treasure Hunt (10)

Chapter 10

“This is just crazy!” Drew yelled when he was brought out of his shocked state.

“Maybe it is, but can you really deny what just happened? You saw it with your own eyes!” Rebecca exclaimed.

“Yeah, but…” Drew couldn’t formulate a sentence with the words that were milling around in his head.

“That means we’re not a science project,” Alex muttered.

“My dad really didn’t know anything,” Jennifer whispered.

“My mom didn’t have anything to do with this whole thing,” Alex murmured.

“I don’t believe it,” Drew said.

“Then what do you call this, then?” Rebecca asked, gesturing to the map. “A coincidence?”

“I don’t know… But this can’t be real,” Drew answered. “It’s just a dream.”

Rebecca walked over to him and pinched him hard in the arm.

“Still think it’s a dream, Lover Boy?” Rebecca asked sourly.

Drew only fixed her with a glare. After everything they had just witnessed, she couldn’t believe he still didn’t believe her.

“But why would Niall lie to us?” Jennifer questioned.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Rebecca laughed bitterly. “We’re powerful, Jennifer.”

“If he had gained our trust, he could get us do to anything,” Alex whispered.

“But lie about our families? That’s just wrong,” Jennifer countered.

“He knew neither of us had a good relationship with our parents, so he decided to turn us more against them,” Alex said darkly.

“But…” Jennifer tried.

“I don’t know why, Jennifer. I just can’t believe I trusted him!” Alex yelled as he kicked a stray rock into the pond.

“And what about that thing you read, Rebecca? What’s that supposed to mean?” Drew questioned angrily. He had been over the denial stage and moved over to anger stage.

“Are you getting mad at me now? For figuring out that there was something more about us?” Rebecca snapped.

“You haven’t figured out a thing!” Drew snapped back.

“Well, don’t blame me for your personality issues,” Rebecca told him.

“Shut up,” Drew said, a bit childishly.

“Can you two stop arguing and try to think about what that is supposed to mean?” Alex snapped at the two of them.

Silence spread among them as their minds whirred around; trying to make sense of the riddle they had gotten from the book.

“It says in the book that the pieces must fit for the evil to be crushed,” Rebecca eventually whispered.

“Maybe those ‘puzzle pieces’ is in these places,” Jennifer suggested.

“We don’t know where this is,” Drew muttered.

“Sure we do. This is a map over USA that much is obvious. This must be California,” Rebecca said, gesturing to one of the dots. “This is Washington,” she said while pointing to another one.

“And that’s Maine and Florida,” Alex finished. “And if we take that riddle… There is a lot of deserts and mountains in Cali, isn’t it?” Alex asked.