Chapter 1 : Prisoner of my Thoughts

The alternative blinking of the lights got me blinded. A slam of a door as the deep voices of the law came forward slowly through us. I remember him stepping out freely with peace on his eyes. 

(shots fired) 

A loud shot claps through my ear leaving my shoulders automatically moved up. As soon as I leaned on , the blood drops on ground caught my attention. It was too late. 

Hoping it was just a bad nightmare. I opened my eyes to the reality of my past for it was stabbing my chest in vain. My world is shaken by this dreadful dream. On the other hand, a voice of a young woman called me. 

“Jordan! Are you ready for this?!”

My name is Jordan Paul Jr. and I’m about to confess the truth, twenty years ago. 

(2020)

A small town surrounded by a forest and lakes, with a cracky highway and houses built by the sands. 

We called this place The Sacred Lives.

Wherein, black people live in perfect harmony. A poor community with limited resources and living. The community is a total hold out. 

“ouch!”

The sun would be asleep in a few minutes.

And it was another clumsy day for a four years old kid like me to play hide and seek with my one year older best friend Michigan Hailey in the woods. 

“tag your it! It’s your turn Jordan!”

Did I mention hide and seek? Well Michigan might be a kid but her eyes are sharper like bird’s eye. No wonder she is called the queen of hide and seek in our town besides she got those beautiful brown eyes. The night is young and I’m counting the stars in finding her. 

“8, 9 … 10 ! ready or not here I come!” 

I repeated her name out but all I heard is the howling of the owls. It was terrifying to play in the woods at night and my dad surely is finding me right now. Not so far away, I heard the sways of the green grass and surely it feels like someone is staring at me at this times.

The vultures in the sky roared and flew as I ran away with fear. My heart pumps fast as I run and unluckily I couldn’t find my way back until I hit someone and turns out to be poppu. My father. 

“ There you are! What are you doing out here kiddo.. let’s go. “  poppu said with a worried face. 

Michigan, in a hurry, ran to us as soon as we stepped back to The Sacred Park. Our people gathered around and you can see on their faces how startled they are. 

“Thank God the prince is back!” we were worried about you.”

Michigan’s mother apologized to my father, kneeling on his foot. I pulled my father’s right hand and looked at him with teary eyes. My father smiles and grabbed her up by his hands. 

Telling michigan’s mother that it was nobody’s fault and to be more careful next time for we are still minors. He also took the responsibility and told everybody that he was also to be blamed for he was being careless as well. What is important to him is that I returned safely. 

She thanked my father for his consideration and promised to be more careful next time. Following her apology, she asked Michigan to kneel and had respect for the king. 

“i- I’m sorry King Paul, I’m sorry Jordan” Michigan apologized while rubbing her tear eyes. 

Mrs. Hailey excused themselves and pulled Michigan with disappointment. She counseled her as soon as they take a step back and vanish.  I got confused with the overprotective stuffs so I questioned my father regarding it.