Chapter 17: Engagement Party

Chaeyoung

So much nicer than a plain old card, this timeless, simple and rustic paper engagement party guest notebook is elegantly designed as the perfect informal keepsake for a couple on their special day. Our supposed to be a special day. Two weeks had passed since the dinner with the Hirai and I had madly occupied with the engagement party along with the help of Mina.

She was hesitated to agree to the sudden celebration that clearly would be presented by lots of guest and reporters. It would be her first formal appearance as my fiancee to the public and I tried to understand her anxiety. She wasn't used to this attention and I should consider her feelings and comfort. We had a talk and thankfully it turned out well. It wasn't like she had any other choice, it was written in the agreement that this was a possibility even marriage. She had to adjust herself.

This was my first time throwing an engagement party. I had never in charge of a project involving anything around it. Etiquette questions were swirling around my brain. I consulted with a party planner to share her insider tips and answer key questions about the guest list, invitations, gifts, and everything in between. I was the one who had direct contact with the party planner, shouldered and decided how and what the engagement celebration would be like until the planner questioned Mina less participation. She annoyingly queried why Mina hadn't shown up in our meeting and that Mina, my fiancee's opinion also matters and she should attend the meeting and involved herself with the planning. I was quick to make excuses that Mina hadn't been feeling well lately.

It never crossed my mind to ask her opinion about it, and why would it even matter when this engagement was nothing but an instrument. What important was to host the party and get it done as soon as possible. I'm sure, Mina wouldn't be bothered by it if I wasn't asking her preference. It would acquire more time and I knew almost all of her favourites from the list. With it, no one knew Mina better than me.

However, I still brought her in the last meeting to meet the planner, preventing any suspicion. As expected, Mina was agreeable. We made a final discussion about the timeline of the party and Mina did her job, smiling, flung her arms on mine, lean her head on my shoulder. She nodded and loved all element of the party, complimenting me on my choices and hard work, thanking me for my effort. The intimacy grew natural over time and I did the same physical contact.

The invitation was distributed first thing first to all the guest even the Chairman. I'd informed him beforehand that I would host an engagement party. As my grandfather, his presence was needed. After painful weeks of preparing, everything was set. The venue, the invitations and guest list, the aesthetic style and theme, the food and cocktail situation, etc.

All that was left was the execution.

Watching my reflection on the stand mirror, I wore the wristwatch and studied my appearance. A double-buttoned navy blue suit.