Chapter 3: New Job

Mina

The night had fallen. I stood across the street, gaping at the large mansion that set beyond the sidewalk, towering over me. It loomed proudly behind a redwood gate, flanked by rows of trees decorated with light strings. I'm too mesmerized until I almost forgot my purpose. I crossed the road then pushed the doorbell. It was, moments later, opened by a young man wearing a blackwork suit "Ah, I assume you must be Miss Myoui. Miss Son is waiting for your arrival. Follow me"

As soon as I entered, I must had been transferred into a different universe and the gate I just went through was Doraemon's magic door. I stole glances around the place. I noticed a marble fountain sitting towards the right side of the lawn. A golden ballerina was perched on top in 5th position---I knew this because I learn ballet when I was a kid---while clear water flowing down as her skirt. Around the fountains, colorful water features spouting to the rhythm of music, which I had guessed was Butterfly Lovers' violin. There were also bushes trimmed into all sorts of animals with their respective colors flashed by fairy lights. It was a squirrel, dog, bunny, ostrich, raccoon, owl, tiger and Oh My God! a bunch of baby penguins. Overall, it was a stunning visual and musical treat as everything came alive with dramatic lighting effects. It felt and looked so magical as if I was inside Pandora---The World of Avatar.

I never expected Miss Son will live in this kind of atmosphere. This place was a complete contradict to the owner. It was warm, inviting, and approachable instead of cold, remote and unreachable. Talking about the owner, I began to shiver a little as I started to wonder why I was here.

Her house was about a fifteen-minute walk from the hospital, and I was on time. It hadn't been a good visit with Sana today.  She had extreme drowsiness and headache, though she tried to speak it will only come out as slur. I'd told her to take some rest and sleep which resulting me to leave early, after giving her a goodbye kiss. I was devastated. She had been good all week, but then the blood clot happened. I had hoped today that I’d be able to talk with her as we used to, but it hadn't happened. Instead, it just added to my stressful, bizarre day. I left feeling despondent and unsure as to why Miss Son wanted to see me.

Miss Son.

She was acting uncharacteristically strange. As if, it wasn't enough with confusing me by asking to come over to her home this evening, her behavior for the rest of the afternoon was completely odd. When she returned from her meeting, she stopped by my desk and asked for mocha and tortilla.

In case you didn't catch that. She literally, asked me! Gone was the demand, intimidate glare, sneering, and slamming door. Rather, she politely requested lunch and even uttered thank you---for the second time. She stayed in her office for the rest of the day until she left, when she stopped again and told me not to forget our appointment, I nodded to her. She thanks me--- third time!---and walked away.

I'd had thought that she was high or something, that was the only explanation. She just left me beyond puzzled. It felt like my brain cells had been randomized. I had no idea what I was doing at her home, much less why.

I took control over myself and tried to breathe evenly though my heart felt it gonna burst anytime. I'm already close to the answer better just to surrender and embrace it. I straightened my shoulders and focused on following the young man down the little stone path that led to a black door.

Miss Son opened the door, and I tried not to stare. I had never seen her looked this casual.