Chapter 54: The Night We Found Us Part 2

Mina

[an hour ago]

I strolled through the tranquil flower park, my gaze was drawn to the lively colors and fragrant blooms that surrounded me. It was a stark contrast to the heaviness I felt, knowing that our marriage contract ending today. The lines between our initial agreement and the genuine emotions we now shared had blurred, making our situation all the more complex. Chaeyoung and I had come a long way from the businesslike arrangement we started with. The tension between us had become nearly unbearable, like a thick cloud of uncertainty hanging over our every interaction.

Glancing down at the passport in my hand, I couldn't help but entertain the thought of escaping. Leaving the cruise, the contract, the suffocating atmosphere—it all seemed so tempting. But I knew better than to act on such impulsive desires. The situation was far from straightforward. I knew I had developed real feelings.

I was torn between my yearning for freedom and the responsibility I felt towards her. The ship felt like a gilded cage, but breaking free wasn't as simple as it seemed. So, I continued to wander through the flower park, trapped and confused. I realized that I had never been particularly skilled at making decisions for myself. The burden of choice weighed heavily on my shoulders. I had always found it easier to make decisions on behalf of others, to assist and guide them, rather than making crucial choices for my own life.

I felt lost.

I recalled my own words yesterday, "Someone with a reputation wields both power and vulnerability. The greater the reputation, the harder the fall," I mumbled softly to myself. As I pondered my own words, doubts creeped in my mind. "Is that why you're hesitating, Chaeyoung? Am I wrong in thinking this way?"

Comparing myself to you, I knew I couldn't match up. In your world, people leveraged wealth, talent, titles, and power to their advantage. Yet, here I was, feeling like I had nothing to offer. "I'm not Ms. Nayeon or Princess Somi Douma," I continued, my voice filled with uncertainty. "What could I possibly offer you in return?"

Nothing.

The truth was, you had needed me as a mere puppet to achieve your goals. It had been a simpler arrangement before, but everything had changed. With my growing feelings for you, renewing the contract would be nothing short of self-humiliation. In fact, I already felt humiliated and deeply ashamed for allowing myself to be ensnared in this situation.

I had been so cruel to myself, hadn't I?

"Mina,"

"Did I hear that right?" I wondered, my thoughts interrupted by a voice calling my name. I shook my head, assuming it couldn't possibly be her. She should be on the cruise. I started to walk away, trying to dismiss the longing that surged within me. But something compelled me to turn back, to make sure. Maybe I was mistaken.

I scanned the surroundings, but there was no sign of her. I must have misheard. I let out a sigh, about to turn away when a child bumped into my legs, causing her ice cream to tumble to the ground. I quickly crouched down, "I'm sorry, stay right here, okay? I'll get you a new one." I said, helping her to stand.

The child looked up at me with a pout. I hurried to buy her a replacement ice cream and returned to hand it to her. Her face lit up with a grateful smile. "Thank you, nee-chan!" she chimed, taking the ice cream and darting off again.

I watched her go, relieved that she didn't stumble once more. "You're welcome!" I called after her, my smile widening.

"Mina,"