Chapter 16: The Hirai

Chaeyoung

It had been a month since I resigned and there was nothing going much. Since I'd gone, Mina was also expectedly to leave the company and she did. It was surprisingly approved by the Chairman. After our date, I planned to take her out and continue with our public facade. But, the Chairman didn't plant any eye to follow and watch us.

This contractual agreement with Miss Myoui had its own repercussion. This wasn't what I expected, none of this. Maybe I shouldn't come with the high risked gamble. I was starting to think that this whole plan failed miserably and it seemed that Mina was also shared the same thought, but she chose to keep quiet. I had find her a new high paid job for the worst that might happened, though I refused to believe it. I had come this far, all of the effort and the title I dreamed of. It couldn't be.

And I was proven right. A flicker of hope arrived this morning, through email and mail box.

'The Hirai are cordially invited Miss Son and Miss Myoui to a House Party. Hosted by Mrs Eri and Mr Kimi. Sunday, March 7th 6:30 PM. Hirai's Residence.'

The Hirai. One of the top shareholders of the Son Group. The Chairman founded the business but it was financed by the Hirai in the earliest years. They rarely involved themselves in the Son Group's affair and management. However, a certain important decision would require their approval, including the decision for the next heiress. Their words weren't final but it would greatly affect the board members.

The Hirai conquered tourism industry with their companies having their own cruise line and hotels. It was a family run business and operated the company on two fundamental principles: family and integrity. They were extremely particular when it came to their client base. The Hirai's company was family-oriented. The entire family was involved with the operation. His wife and children, even their spouses worked there. They had picnics and dinners for their staff and their families. They paid well; they treated them well. Their clients loved them. Getting hired there was difficult since it was rare for anyone to leave.

The Hirai founder, Mr Yuuto passed away twenty-five years ago then it was handed  to his son Mr Tomio. Their business grew globally during his times but he deceased after several years. Now the Hirai was led by the grandchildren, Mr Tomio's eldest daughter; Mrs Eri as the president and Mr Kimi, her husband as the vice president.

"I've heard about them but never meet them personally" Mina uttered, scrolling the article on the computer screen while I added any unmentioned details about the Hirai.

I rubbed the edge of my brow and leaned forward, placing my hand on top of hers that held the mouse. She snatched her hand back, probably out of surprise. I growled and pulled her hand, placed it back to the mouse, my hand on top of hers. This time she wasn't resisting which saved both of us from useless argument. I guided the mouse to the search bar and typed a different article for her to gain more knowledge about them.

"The Chairman and Mr Tomio was an acquaintance. During his mid-twenties, the Chairman needed fund to expand his business and the Hirai offered to help. They never directly engaged with the Son Group management and only sent a representative. You can only see them in the annual board meeting which regular employees aren't allowed to attend. The Hirai may inactive but anything they say is impactful" I explained, crossing my arms and walked to the edge of the table, leaning against it. She nodded while her gaze busied scanning the biography. She was trying to familiarize with the Hirai lineage. "You might have seen them in the Golden Rose event." I added.

She hummed lowly as if she recognised them by their pictures. "They had witnessed the rumoured incident, the whole thing that happened" her voice was weak and heavy. I knew from her that the Chairman had personally apologized about the incident as he admitted himself that he was the one who released the article. Obviously, Mina was shocked and felt betrayed although she didn't say so.