Chapter 27: Angel

Mina

She was late. She usually came home around eleven in the evening. I looked at the dinner on the dining table. It was getting cold. I stood up, carried the stew back to the kitchen and heated it. I watched the stew boil up and over the edges of the pots on the stove, looking exactly like I felt. Recently, I felt overwhelmed. Being with Chaeyoung was a roller coaster of emotions and it was exhausting but sometimes I enjoyed her presence, when she chose not to be a jerk for a millisecond. Yesterday was a surprise. She was being indifferently kind for the whole day.

The bell rang, cutting into my thought. I turned off the stove and snapped my head to the main door. The corner of my mouth lifted unconsciously. She was home. I jogged to the living room and slowed my pace. It couldn't be her. She wouldn't ring the bell. Then, it must be a guest. At this hour? I took off the apron and straightened my hair. It might be the Hirai. I opened the door and was stunned when seeing the woman across me.

She smiled kindly, though I was doubting the sincerity of that smile, "May I come in?" She asked. I nodded wordlessly and stepped aside, giving her space to walk in. She entered, her heels tapped sharply against the tiled floor. She didn't take off her shoes. I followed her behind and sat across her on the couch.

The dress, which came to just below her knees was slit thigh-high on both sides. Her neckline showed just a flash of cleavage, and her skirt rode up her thighs as she crossed her legs. Her sleek black hair hung in a coil-over one shoulder and her lipstick bright against her pale skin. Her back was straight. Her eyes were hard. She held so much power and control. The energy that she emitted took over her surroundings. A friendly smile carved on her innocent face but her eyes were void, cold and hollow. If you were not alerted enough, you could be easily deceived. This woman was vicious. She reminded me of Chaeyoung. They were so alike but the difference was, this woman was more wicked.

 They were so alike but the difference was, this woman was more wicked

I was anxious about why she was here. I lowered my head and accidentally saw a large scar trailed down her left thigh, barely showing. She put her elbow on her knee and plopped her chin on her palm. She noticed my gaze, grinning, "Cool scars isn't it?" I remained quiet. She might feel offended, "You know me, aren't you?" She continued.

I nodded, "I remember you." Her name. Im Nayeon as how she introduced herself back then. I remembered it clearly. Our first encounter was traumatizing I would say. I had wished we would never meet again yet here she was in front of me. I looked down at my hands, and was almost surprised to see that they were not trembling. I didn't want to look weak in front of her.

"Can we have a little chit-chat?" She asked and I nodded again. As long as she didn't throw a basket of water over my head along with her vile remarks then we could have a decent conversation. And that was the reason I didn't offer her tea. It might end drenching on me instead, "What do you think of Chaeyoung?"