Chapter 36: Depth of Winter Part 1

Nayeon

The morning light was blinding. I adjusted the window shade. The glare was giving me headache. Frowning, I maneuvered another piece of pattern on the material laid across the table. Empty bottles of whiskey scattered on the floor. I walked unsteadily to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of wine then went back to the living room. I placed it down the table and marked bust dart with tailor's chalk. Laying the chalk aside, I picked up a dress shears and bend over the fabric. I added ghetto fabric on the mannequin and pinned, trimmed and arranged it until a dress took shape, almost as if it were a sculpture.

I took a step back and picked up the bottle of wine. Examining the whole dress, I gulped down the wine and looked at the mannequin, "Judy, your dress are lacking something and I can't figure it out," I sighed and compared the dress with the design I had drawn on my sketchbook. I
studied the design and something was missing. I had worked with this piece for all day and all night. I stood motionless for hours and kept pinning and re-pinning.

Bell rings.

I ignored it and kept my eyes glued to the dress. What was it? I stuck pins in my mouth and swept the lightweight fabric around the mannequin. Perhaps a velvet lace on the skirts?

Bell rings.

I grunted and stomped towards the front door. My fiancee was standing outside, holding a box of cupcake. I sighed. She always had to ruin my morning. I let her in and she followed me inside, "0922," I said and sat infront of the mannequin, not sparing her a glance.

"What?" she asked.

"My passcode so I don't have to answer the door everytime you disturb me,"

"Okay," She peeked over my shoulder, "But what are you doing?"

I turned to her, what kind of question is that? I scoffed, "I am having a concert, smart-ass,"

She frowned and distanced herself, her eyes darted around the place, "Why aren't you packing yet?"

"I'm not going," I replied lazily.

"It's a must for the participants"

"I'm rebellious,"

"Are there any reason why you can't come? Do you have other plan?" She bombarded me with questions that was left unanswered. I was still focusing on the mannequin. She stepped in front of me, blocking my view of the dress. "Are you sick perhaps? You look flushed,"

I pushed her to the side. If it wasn't a velvet lace, maybe a rhinestone applique. A blue shirt covered my line of sight. Annoyed, I looked up at her. She leaned in to press the back of her fingers against my forehead. I ducked away, "What do you think you are doing?"

"Checking to see if you have a temperature"

"What I have is headache. Thanks to you"

"You should stop that habit of blaming others," She shook her head and stared at the empty bottles on the floor, "You drank enough whiskey to kill a normal person"

I wanted to rebuke. I stood up too quickly which sent dizziness and a sharp pain to my brain instantaneously. I staggered backwards. She caught me around the waist. I wanted to pull away but her arms remained secure around me, "You should lean on me for a while. You are not looking good. How many days you haven't sleep? You shouldn't force yourself---"

"Shut up before I cross stitch your mouth," I interjected. My head was already arching. I didn't need to hear her hypocrisy.

"Can't you be a little nicer?" She slowly led me to the sofa. I dropped my head and massaged my temple slowly. She sighed, "Wait here, I'll get some aspirin. You haven't eaten too, aren't you? I bought some cupcakes. You should have it first," She returned shortly with medicine and cupcakes neatly arranged on a plate. I took a bite of the cake and took the pills. After an hour, my head was still pounding but the pain has subsided a little.