Chapter 33: Poison and Cure

Mina

The guests had begun to arrive. Most of the people were dressed in semi-formal. People had already begun to sit around the table just talking and laughing while some were standing as they engaged in a conversation. Some people were standing along the walls just enjoying the relaxed atmosphere and jazz band. The party was held in the house and in the front yard where he had a barbeque drill. The place that was was immediately filling up and still more people were arriving. There was a beautiful crystal-clear pool of litmus blue water in the front yard glowing because of the lamps by the water's edge.

Chaeyoung held my hand as the guest came to her and they greeted each other. Some I had familiarised myself with after attending various events, most of them were strangers. It was my first time seeing them. Chaeyoung enlightened me that this event was attended by mainly those from the media industry; News reporters, Journalists, Technical writers, Art directors, Film producers, Graphic designers, etc. I wouldn't say I had a good relationship with the media after what had happened.

We met Mr. Lee Yul and Chaeyoung delivered her gift. She had prepared an expensive set of gold cufflinks while mine was a humble gift. It was compression socks. Chaeyoung told me I didn't have to prepare one but I felt like I had to. She didn't know it was a pair of socks and assumed I had arranged a more decent and costly gift.

In the nursing home where Sana resided, I shared my time and skill with older care home residents. They needed comfort rather than accessories. I thought the socks would be a perfect gift for Mr. Lee Yul and fortunately, he loved my gift, surprising Chaeyoung.

"Thank you, I really need this. I've been suffering from sore feet for weeks now," He laughed as he pulled out the socks from the box and examined it, his eyes were kind and honest. He turned to Chaeyoung and shrugged, "I'm an old man, Chaeyoung. All of these luxurious things don't mean much to me. I prefer these socks instead and it's in my favorite color even. I love it," He smiled at me which I reciprocated. Chaeyoung chuckled forcefully beside me, rubbing the edge of her eyebrows.

If it wasn't because of the building tension, I would have laughed at her. Chaeyoung treated her clients with professionalism and that was how she appeared in an event like this. She was collected and polite. She was only being a tyrant and harsh towards her subordinates. Whenever the clients were displeased or behaved rudely, she remained calm and talked in a low voice. That anger and frustration would be thrown at us instead, her team and personal assistant. She couldn't do that anymore because she was now under The Hirai and her secretary was Sakura Miyawaki, Mr. Kimi's sister-in-law. Because of the successor formality, Chaeyoung had to regain her reputation and build a new image and she succeeded. She had never strayed away from that image.

Tonight however, Chaeyoung eyes were sharp and she spoke indifferently. Her pitch-black pupils congealed without a blink of an eye, as if something was being hidden between her brows. She was undoubtedly pissed. I didn't expect to see that expression considering the crowd in this event. Chaeyoung turned to me and I instinctively leaned closer to her. She whispered, "Mina, can you wait here for a while? I wanted to talk to Mr. Lee Yul," She asked, pulling away. Mr. Lee Yul had moved to greet a new arrival. He was standing at the entrance with his cane. I glanced at him and turned back to Chaeyoung, nodding.