Chapter 37: Depth of Winter Part 2

Jeongyeon

Phoenix Park Resort

The sun sparkling off the ice frosted snow. The orange red flames in the depths of a stone fireplace. The resort were quite only some audible whisper could be heard as most of them went to snowboarding. I changed my attire and was about to join the others when I noticed her sitting comfortably at the living room couch, a black-purple stripe cashmere wool cape engulfed her body. That cape from yesterday. Was it her after all? I sat next to her. She was sketching something, her lips parted slightly. She was engrossed.

"What do you want?" she spoke, her eyes focused on her drawing.

"You are not coming?" I asked.

"No,"

"Why?"

She halted and drew a quick breathe. She turned and looked out of the window before her; she almost seemed to be drifting away into her own thoughts. I followed her gaze and watched the bustle of people outside. Everyone was getting along, smiling, laughing, and enjoying time together. I diverted my attention back to her. In that moment, lasted merely a second or less, was somewhat longing filling her dim eyes before it disappeared and she turned her head, facing her drawing book and continued sketching. There was silence.

I rubbed my hands together, trying to lift the mood, "Don't tell me you don't know how to ski" I joked, half-chuckling. She looked at me and remained quiet. Wait, I frowned, "You don't know how to ski" I said, clearly a statement.

She sighed, "I never went skiing. I can't"

"Why?"

She shut her sketch pad and stared at me, sharply, " I hate winter,"

That was a vague answer. But I nodded nonetheless. She never went skiing. That was a little weird, "I can teach you," I shrugged. Not bragging but I was good at it.

"Oh no," she stood up and started to walk away.

I caught up to her, "I'm good at teaching. Skiing isn't that hard,"

"Get out of my way," she glared.

I watched her walk away and chuckled, this might work, "Or are you afraid? Miss Im" I mocked, challenging her.

She swung around, abruptly, "Afraid?"

It worked. I bit my lips, concealing my smile, "Come on then," I left and smiled as I saw her trailing behind with a furious expression. We rented the equipment needed. The attendant help to figure out the best boots for her while she sat on the bench. I brought the boots to her. "Here,"

She took it and wear it hastily, "Let's get this over quick," She snatched the skis and poles from my hand and walked out to the snow. The skis had sharp metal edges that might have jagged spots, she should carry them with gloves. She wasn't even wearing any. I shook my head. Impatient just like someone. I chased after her and gave her a pair of gloves.

"Now what?" She sighed.

I fixed her helmet, "Now you have to trust me,"

"No,"

I deadpanned. Stubborn and hot headed. She was the spitting image of Chaeyoung. Birds of a feather flock together. It was no wonder they were....so close. I shook my head. What am I thinking? "Put your hands through the straps on the ski poles and hold the poles by your sides" I instructed. She followed. "Now, bend your knees so your shins rest on the front of the boots and lean forward slightly. This is the basic posture."