Chapter 6: Tiger and Cub

Mina

I stood and stared before the door. It was scratched and dented with chipped brown varnish, had a brass coloured lock and doorknob dulled with age. A brass safety chain dangled at the side of the door, a pointless gesture in a neighbourhood like this. I closed my fingers around the knob to twist, the door made a high-pitched creaking noise, creepy and low. It didn't affect me, since I heard it every day and this was my apartment, my comfort zone. Unlike the person beside me, on my right. She was anxiously glancing back and forth between the stairs and her surrounding, then stared upwards. The only source of light was the standing lamp flickering, a Philips bulb light. She kept visible distance between her and my dog that rubbing his paw over his head from back to front, passing over one ear. I read about that body language; My dog was stressed

Who wouldn't? There was a sudden stranger clinging to my side and that stranger apparently disliked him. He probably hated that my attention was now on this stranger.

I sighed. This situation was surely unexpected. I only wanted to return the coat that Ms Son landed me when we were in the park but found her shaking and traumatised in the middle of the alleyway. Immediately, I recalled the list she gave me; she feared dark and dogs. Fear was normal and a part of life. We all had fear, something that made you distressed or uncomfortable when you confront that object. But, I didn't imagine, rather than just fear, it was a phobia. Where the emotional response was so strong, intense and impossible to control. And so, I did what I thought right, comforting her. No matter how cruel this person was, how a piece of trash she was; it wasn't right to take advantages of their weakness.

That was how we reached here. I offered her to stay at my rooftop apartment until the sun rose and she reluctantly agreed. I took a step forward, entering my house but a small tugged on my sleeves stopped me on my track. I turned to her then gazed to my sleeve where she had caught a tiny portion of my blouse with her thumb and forefinger. Like a crab claw pinching its food or in the negative side, as if she was disgusted to actually grab my shirt.

"Yes?" I asked, ignoring the thoughts.

"T-that dog. Does it live inside? Isn't it a guard dog?" She pointed to my dog that went ahead of us and now warming himself inside his tent bed.

"No, Ray is more like a protection dog. He is trained to attack if he perceives a threat, especially to unfamiliar faces. He bites in command and stops biting in command" That was the truth, except the fact that Ray was a very friendly dog rather than overly aggressive. Since I lived alone, protection for safety was needed plus a companion. Ms Son was still a stranger to me and who knew what might happen when we were together in this deserted place. Hence, I shamelessly used Ray as a shield to slightly warned her not to do anything funny. Though based on her expression and movement, she seemed exhausted and only wanted to rest peacefully. Yet her anxiety kept her awake.

"He is a good boy." I uttered before walking inside. She followed closely behind me, eyes roaming the room while occasionally glancing at Ray who was curled up, sleeping. A slight purring rumbled in his throat.

Her brows furrowed when she noticed the glass candle jars that were placed in every corner of the room, lightening the room into dimly lit. She averted her eyes looking for lamps but there was none. Before she could ask, I explained, "Last week, the lightbulb just explode and I purposely didn't fix it. I discovered using candles is far better for me" There was displeasure on her face, not even trying to hide it. It made sense, compared to her uncomfortably large house, my apartment must have looked just like a studio to her. Or worse, she might consider it a dump.