Chapter 34: Mini Project

Chaeyoung

Facing the door, I sat alone in a dimly lit restaurant. I had booked the entire place since she didn't like noises. It was also a precautionary step to avoid scandalous rumour. I glanced at my wrist watch. She was late. That was very unlikely. While waiting, my thoughts were completely occupied by Mina. After the birthday party at Mr Lee Yul's residence, she had been acting a little different. I wasn't sure what it was but something had changed.

The sound of heels clicking on the marble floor snapped me out of my thoughts. She  put down her handbag, casually pulled a chair over and sat down. She stared at me briefly. Propping her elbow on the table, she rested her chin in her hand and leaned forward with a smile, "What were you thinking so hard earlier?"

I shook my head, "It was nothing,"

"Wrong. You should have said that you were thinking of me," She pouted then  waved the waiter over, "I'm starving," She added.

I chuckled. She seemed exhausted. We had dinner together. She kept giving me sidelong glances while she picked at her food and insisted on feeding me a particularly succulent piece of meat off her plate, "I thought you are hungry?" I asked.

She shrugged, "Well I am. Are you not going to compliment how I look? I feel extremely pretty today" She tucked loose ends of hair, which had fallen from her long, dark braid, behind her ears. A cheeky smiled formed on her lips. Her smoldering eye makeup and bright red lipstick popped. Light sprinkles of gold glitter sparkled on her forehead. She was dressed up in a lace peplum dress with a leather collar. And, the most noticeable was a black fingerless arm glove.

"You are pretty everyday, Nayeon," I exclaimed. The smile in her face grew. I stared silently at the glove she wore, "Did you attend a show?"

"Yes," She sighed, slumping in her seat and folded her arms across her chest, "Seoul Fashion Week for fall and winter collection. Nothing interesting. It was boring,"

Before I had a chance to answer, the waiter came with the deserts. He served us and asked if we needed anything else. He filled our glasses and I took a hearty gulp of the wine, my gaze on her. She scooped up a spoonful of some kind of fruit pie and aimed it at my mouth, "Open," She said and I did. She fed me then picked up her spoon and took a bite of my dessert, "Yours is better than mine," She concluded, changing our desserts.

I rubbed the edge of my eyebrow, she noticed it, "Nayeon---" I called.

"If you are going to talk about that woman. Don't,"  She said, firmly.

I pulled the napkin from my lap and wiped my mouth before placing the napkin on the table, "Since you mentioned it, I will tell you this very clearly. Before today, I still cherish our relationship, consider you as someone who's precious to me, and turn a blind eye to your actions. I have been patient. I hope to remain patient. But there are some things I won't allow. From today onwards, please do not challenge my bottom line. Otherwise----"

"Otherwise?" She interrupted, her tone challenging. Her expression completely changed and became a somewhat dissatisfied frown.

"Nayeon," I sighed, "What you did yesterday was dangerous"

She put down the spoon on the table, "I lose my appetite" She stood up and grabbed the strap of her handbag. Her eyes darkened as she headed towards me. I turned to the side, facing her direction. She gripped my thighs and bend forwards. I stared unblinking and undaunted into her callous gaze. Her face screwed into venomous fury, "If you dare to threaten me again, I will not hesitate to put her in her place. Next time, that woman that you all tries so hard to protect won't walk away with just a scratch"