Chaper 48: Flower In The Sky

Chaeyoung

Day 1: Tokyo, Yokohama, Japan.

I stood in the cruise ship's office, dressed in my uniform jacket. As I gazed at my reflection in the mirror, I adjusted my uniform. With deliberate care, I pinned my badge to my lapel, making sure it sat perfectly straight. It was at this moment that Mr. Ogura, the Safety and Compliance Officer, approached me with a solemn expression. I looked at him from the reflection of the mirror.

"The inventory problem arose due to miscommunication and misunderstanding between the Food and Beverage Assistant Manager and the food supplier. Mrs. Myoui wasn't present during that crucial period because she was reporting at the headquarters. She only learned about it when she hastily oversaw the inventory," He explained.

"She led the team. That's the responsibility of a leader," I slipped my hands into my pockets.

Mr. Ogura continued, his tone persuasive, "It was indeed a huge mistake, but Mrs. Myoui took immediate action and assumed the role of cruise director. She worked closely with the logistics and financial teams to expedite food deliveries at upcoming ports."

"She made the decision to act as the cruise director and took it upon herself to make decisions without waiting for my approval." I stated firmly, curious at what his response would be.

"We were racing against the clock, and Mrs. Myoui couldn't afford to delay for official consent," Mr. Ogura emphasized.

I turned to Mr. Ogura, "Do you believe I abused my authority as a cruise director by relieving Mrs. Myoui of her position? Was it an unjust decision?"

Mr. Ogura seemed to weigh his words carefully, his gaze shifting downward. When he finally looked back up at me, he said, "I believe your decision may have been too severe. While a grave mistake occurred, Mrs. Myoui's merits far outweigh it,"

Curiosity piqued, I asked further, "Have you considered how this mistake might affect our ratings?"

"It may have an impact, but the director has managed to minimize it as much as possible. I don't believe that's sufficient reason to strip her of her position, especially considering her relentless efforts to rectify the situation, her tireless work in Aomori, and her dedication to ensuring the cruise's success." He reasoned.

I pondered his response, "If you were in my position as cruise director, what would you have done?"

Without hesitation, Mr. Ogura stated, "Mrs. Myoui deserves recognition and appreciation, not punishment."

I nodded slowly. Exiting the crew hall, my gaze fixed on Mrs. Myoui, who sat near the railing on the first floor of the cruise ship, her gaze fixed upon the vast expanse of the sea. I stood a few floors above, quietly observing her. The gentle breeze caused her white dress to sway gracefully, and her hair tussled in a bun, pinned by a bow to prevent it from being blown by the wind.

 The gentle breeze caused her white dress to sway gracefully, and her hair tussled in a bun, pinned by a bow to prevent it from being blown by the wind