Chapter 10: Proposal

Mina

That night, I waited for Chaeyoung to return from wherever she went. She had promised me, precisely I made a rule that forbids her to sleep with any woman while we were in this contractual relationship. I think it was just, fair, reasonable and morally right. I glanced to my wristwatch and the arms pointed half-past two in the morning. She hadn't come back. Uneasy, I stood from my bed and walked to the window. I drew the curtain and waited through the pure black of night. There was no moon nor stars beckoning the midnight velvet.

The sound of a car pulling into the front yard caught my attention. I looked down and saw her handing the car keys to the doorman to park her car in the garage. I studied her, she didn't seem drunk and was carrying a few files. I concluded she was from work. Feeling somehow relief, I walked in and tucked myself to bed. Guess we would talk tomorrow instead.

I closed my eyes and tossed around. Unfortunately, my second night here was just the same, I'm unable to sleep. Sighing, I sprang up and went to my door, peeking towards Chaeyoung's bedroom. It was closed. I waited for another half an hour before tip-toeing through the hallway and stopped right in front of her bedroom.

I leaned my ear towards the door and was glad when I heard nothing, which meant she was asleep. I carefully opened the door and left it slightly ajar. Like yesterday, the room glowed in soft orange. She was sleeping in the same position---lying on her stomach---without changing her suit and her feet not only didn't go out of the blanket but also from the bed.

Should I fix her position and cover her with the duvet? or she might catch a cold.

I scoffed.

No.

My gaze focused on her chest that rose and fell then listened to the sound of her light snore. Thank you for that comfort anyway. I turned around and went to my room. Concentrating to the sound then drifted to dreamland. 

*   *   *   *

The morning sun beamed peeking through the clouds, the golden rays caressed my face. I breathed in deeply, a new day had begun, the day I would be officially introduced to the public as Chaeyoung's girlfriend. Anxious of the upcoming Golden Rose event, I tried to calm myself and did my usual morning routine. I went downstairs and rummaged around the kitchen. It was well equipped, yet held little food except for some fruits, loaves of bread and a few condiments in the cupboard and refrigerator. I didn't look thoroughly yesterday and just realised now, we really need to do grocery shopping.

“Looking for something?”

I straightened up, startled. Chaeyoung was slouched against the door framea towel draped around her broad shoulders. Her skin glistened with a thin sheen of sweat, her blonde hair damp and she still looked perfect. I wondered when she came from. I examined her clothing and surprised when I recognized her attire. She was wearing a navy kendo hakama tied around her waist, it was a traditional martial art Japanese clothing.

 She was wearing a navy kendo hakama tied around her waist, it was a traditional martial art Japanese clothing