Chapter 35: Mr Tiger

"Mom, where's papa? Mom? Why are you crying?"

"It's nothing,"

"I'm sorry, Chaeyoungie, mama promised to celebrate your birthday together but it seems like your father have a late meeting tonight"

She stared at the cake infront of her and her mother who sat beside her. The seat across her that was usually occupied by her father was empty. She couldn't remember when that seat started to become empty. They had waited long enough. Her birthday almost over. She immediately ran to her bedroom and grabbed a teddy bear her father once gifted her for Christmas. She put a birthday hat on the teddy bear's head meant for his father. Now they all wore a birthday hat. She smiled, "It's okay. Papa is here," she smiled, holding the teddy's hand.

Her mother kissed her forehead and they celebrated her birthday. Just the two of them. They sang, they danced, they played. Her mother was smiling so brightly and it made her happy. It was dark when she woke up in her room. She must have fallen asleep. Thirsty. She jumped off her bed and walked to the door. It creaked opened and a tiny triangle of light puddled into the room. She saw her parents outside. They were arguing, again. She stood behind the door and watched in silent.

"Where have you been? It's Chaeyoung's birthday. Even if you don't love me, can't you spend time with your child? Did you stay at her house again?" Her mother asked. Her voice breaking, "Dear please, we used to be a happy family. I'll forgive you. I'll pretend that the affair have never happened. So please, return to us,"

"I wasn't. I've never been happy. This marriage isn't working anymore, Nara. I'll send you the divorce document next week"

"Chaeyoung is still young, she needs you. i need you, please,"

"Is she even my child?"

"What?"

"You are close with that guy sinc----"

"How could you?"

A slap. She flinched. She noticed the red handprint on her father's cheek. The changed of expression on her father's face. His face turnred purple in splotches where the blood seemed to gather, blocked there by the veins popping out in his neck. His eyes went almost completely black. It was like she had lost her father. It wasn't the father that she knew. He shoved her mother, down to the tiled floor. Her mother hit the ground on her hands and knees, whimpering in pain.

She ran immediately and stood in between them, spreading her arms and protecting her mother, she threatened, "Don't touch my mother," Her eyes glaring at the man across her.

Chaeyoung

As far as I remember, Mother was quiet and demure by nature. She would occasionally smile and her laugh was soft and gentle. After the affair, she wasn't herself anymore. She would still smile, but it didn't reach her eyes, her dimple weren't visible. She was always smiling in front of me but behind her bedroom door, the lonely silence of eerie night was broken by her stifled cry. Her husband weren't home, instead he was sleeping in other woman's bed.

Everyday, I watched her became weaker and weaker. She became skinnier. She lost appetite. She resigned from her position as the director in Son Group. She stopped writing eventhough it was her passion. She would lay on the bed for the whole day. She always spaced out. She lost track of time.

It worsened when that man brought his mistress's child and asked mother to raise the kid while he disappeared. His mistress had passed away and he made mother responsible to take care of the child. Back then, I didn't know what was happening. Mother told me I had a new sister and that man had to move into a different country for work. A new sister that appeared suddenly. Part of me was happy, that seven years old kid who didn't know anything. I was the only child and having a new sister was exciting.