Prologue

Twenty five years ago...

I need to take the children to safety. I looked up at the sky. My husband was up there... Fighting to keep our realm safe... Our home.

"Mummy... Where's daddy?"

I pulled my two year old son along close to me as I carried my newborn in my arms. The fire around us was burning down our village as the fireballs rained down on us. I needed to get to Cassie. I needed to keep all of the children in the Realm together, safe and hidden.

I ran to Cassie's as fast as I could, trying to avoid the blasts from above. I looked up at her as she opened the door to her small underground shelter.

"Hurry! We need to get the children away from here."

She called out just as I reached out for her hand and she pulled me in just as the fireball missed us. I handed her my baby after I pushed my son inside to safety.

"Promise me, Cassie... Please, promise me that you will look after my children... If I don't make it back then you know what to do, Don't let them take them, especially her."

I watched Cassie's face as tears ran down both of our faces. She opened her mouth to speak.

"Connie... I..."

"Promise me!.. That you will keep them both safe and bring them up as your own... Don't let them find any of my children... Please?"

The look at her face, was full of fear, worry and sadness as she held my hand in hers. I started begged again.

"Promise me!"

"Yes!... Yes, I promise."

I felt a rush of relief run through me even though I was sickened with pure panic. I looked back over my shoulder as I heard screams, I noticed people we all knew and loved running for their lives as the fireballs hit and burned down their homes. Everything was getting destroyed.

"I need to find Zane... Please take care, Cassie... Get Finn to take you all out of here right now and Hurry."

"No! Connie! Wait!"

I heard her call back as her panicked voice mixed with all the screaming, but I had to get to Zane. I had a job to do and no time to waste. Fear hit me as I ran through the fireballs. But I had to keep strong for us all. The demons were destroying the realm. I spotted Zane hovering above me. He watched over me before he flew down and landed beside me. He truly looks magnificent in his true form. He still sends shivers of delight, even now when I see him like that. I love him with all my heart and soul.

"Where are the children? Are they safe?"

He looked at me with his big golden cat-like eyes as he called down to me. I could see my reflection in the black slits. His dragon eyes are beautiful. I tried to catch my breath before I answered him.

"Yes, they are safe for now."

"I need to get you safe, then get the demons away from the children... Climb up on my back."

Zane is a half-human and half-dragon... A beautiful golden dragon. He still impressed me each time he transformed. He landed then lowered his head into the ground before I climbed up onto his neck. He gave out a growl of excitement as I held on tightly to his golden scales. I gave a quick smirk as I heard his strong safe voice boomed out to me.

"I won't let them win this fight, Connie... I would rather die tonight then give our daughter over to the demons."

"I know you will, and you will protect us all because you are the protected of the sky, my darling."

I hugged him tightly as he took off back into the sky, weaving in and out from the fireballs as the demons threw them at us. Other dragons flew by our side. I watched them all breathe fire as it rained down on the demons and took them out.

I squeezed my arms around my husband's neck tightly as he was trying to take me to safety. The demons wanted to kill all the adults. But they wanted all the children, especially our daughter... She is the first female dragon to be born in centuries... Only males are born with the ability to transform into dragons. But sometimes a female is born and can also have the ability to transform, then she will become a queen.

I knew she our daughter was special the moment I laid my eyes upon her, the moment she was born as I held her in my arms. I knew she will transform someday and rule this land. She will become so powerful when she is older... But I need the demons to think we were trying to take her out of the fire lands while Cassie and her husband Finn are to take all the children to safety. We are now becoming their decoy.

I pulled off my shawl and jumper. I wrapped my shawl around the jumper to make it look like I was carrying a baby. We needed the demons to think we were escaping with her. We are both willing to sacrifice for our children and the Realm if that would give them all a chance to survive.

The demons were going from realm to realm taking the children for slaves. They heard that our daughter Is special and she is promised to the son that the head of our clan. When she is older enough to marry him, the Realm will be the strongest. We knew he will protect her even if we couldn't... One day she will fall in love and marry him and become the most powerful queen the realm is ever to be seen. I looked up as I felt my thoughts drift away from me to see a group of demons ahead of us. They could see me holding a baby, the plan is working.

"Zane! Over there!... They are gathering power... Watch out!"

"I see them, baby... Hold tight."

Zane flew higher into the sky with the other dragons. We all gathered together before we all flew towards them at a fast speed while they breathed their fire at the demons. Zane yelled out in excitement as he took out the group of demons.

"Did you see that, baby? We did it... I will protect my family and this realm."

"Yes, my darling, I did... I knew you would."

I hugged him as we soared across the sky. Zane then winced in pain. I looked back to see his tail is on fire. I knew he was in a great amount of pain. He started to lose speed as his body jolted. Serval fireballs were coming at us. He tried to dodge them as they were thrown at us, but several more hit us. I ducked lower on his back as I watched the ground come closer.

"Hold on tight, baby."

I heard him groan out in pain as we hit the ground with force.

"Zane!"

We crashed to the ground. Zane instantly transformed back into his human form. I held him tightly in my arms. He is burned badly. I needed to get him somewhere safe. I looked around to see the other dragons still in the air. One dragon flew near us. He tried to land to help us, but the demon's fireball hit him. The demons were closing in. I dragged Zane across the glass.

"Connie, go!.. Save yourself... Please."

"No! I am not leaving you... I will never leave your side."

I looked up as the demon surrounded us. I heard the roar of evil laughter.

"Take them!"

Another demon picked up my shawl. He moved closer to us then looked down on us.

"Where is the child?"

Zane spoke in pain. As the other demons grabbed us so we couldn't escape.

"No! Let her go... She knows nothing!"

"You will both tell us where the child is or you will die."

"I would rather die."

Zane spat back in anger, mixed with pain.

"Then you will both see a slow death... Take them back and get them to talk."

I looked at Zane. He reached out his hand to me as he spoke.

"They will live on, baby... Keep faith... I will love you forever and beyond time... Our children will know just how much that we loved them both dearly, and they shall carry on the Realm... I promise my darling wife... This is not the end. "