"Kya, everything you wear impresses (y/n). She loves all your clothes."

"No, she doesn't. She's just being too nice to say anything else."

"Trust me, (y/n) will love anything that you wear. Just bring what you usually wear. You'll be fine."

Choosing to trust her mother, Kya finally unpacks half of her bag. It's finally able to close making Katara sigh in relief.

"Now come on, we're probably going to be the last ones to arrive."

Kya rushed to leave her mother behind as she headed to Appa. The sooner they left, the sooner the two of you would get to spend time with each other.

X

(You're both around the age of 25)

You smiled brightly as your father lowered the crown on your head. Your parents were retiring and you were taking over as Fire Lord.

"I present to you Fire Lord (y/n)"

There's chanting and cheering from everyone around you but you paid no attention to them. Your eyes focused on Kya as she cheered the loudest for you. The two of you had been best friends for years now and nothing else. Your parents had all believed that eventually one of you would confess to each other about your feelings but neither of you ever did. It surprised them. Katara and Mai wanted to get involved but Zuko and Aang forced them not to do so. It was up to the two of you to figure out how you felt for one another.

"How does it feel to be the Fire Nation's leader?"

Kya asks as the two of you are finally able to talk. The entire day, you had spent talking to your advisors and getting acquainted with them. You wanted nothing more than to just spend all day with Kya but you couldn't. You were the Fire Lord. You had responsibilities that you couldn't blow off.

"Honestly, frightening. I thought that I was prepared to take over but I couldn't be more wrong. I feel so underprepared and overwhelmed."

"You'll be fine, (y/n). Your father and mother trusted you enough to retire early. That means something."

You give her a smile and nod.

"You're right. You always know what to say."

The two of you spent a little longer with each other before you're again pulled by another advisor. You give Kya an apologetic smile when you turn to her. She just shrugs it off and gives you a thumbs up for good luck.

X

(You're 28)

Your coronation had been the last time you had seen Kya. Not on purpose but because you were still adjusting to being Fire Lord. Your mother and father and helped you deal with your new position before eventually letting you rule on your own with the help of your advisors. The job was stressful and you barely had any time to do anything. Kya had attempted to visit you a few times but the two of you barely spent more than an hour before you were being pulled away to deal with another crisis in the Fire Nation. Ozai might've been defeated almost 50 years ago but you were still dealing with the effects of his ruling.

"You're going to kill yourself with all this work you're taking on. Your father started off like you before I eventually had to intervene when he stopped taking care of himself."

You sigh and rubbed your tired eyes as you looked at your mother. They had come to visit you almost a week ago and you still hadn't graced them with your presence. You father wanted to wait until you were free but your mother knew better. So she tracked you down to talk to you.