Chapter Seven: Courtship and Games

Magsimula sa umpisa

He smiled at her offer. "I fear my situation has not changed. I must decline. There is work for me to finish this morning before my solicitor arrives. After you return, I will join you for a short time. Enjoy your ride." He nodded and left them.

Radley smiled and moved to the window to peer outside. The horses were out front. "Shall we go?" He offered his arm to Charlotte who hesitated for only a moment before accepting. As he walked her out, the butler quickly handed him his hat.

Vivian followed her brother into the foyer before Ben had the opportunity to offer his arm to her. Instead, he waited for her with Ruth at his side. Vivian took her gloves off the entry table.

As she slipped her hands into them, she paused to study Ben. He was not only a striking gentleman; he was also quite dashing in the way he dressed. He wore a white shirt with a Windsor knot at his neck. The style softened the appearance of his strong jaw. His trimmed mutton beard was dark like his collar-length hair. His dark brown cutaway with tails emphasized his strong physic and wide shoulders. Continuing to admire him, her gaze traveled to his tan riding pants. She was not so young she did not recognize his strong thighs and maleness. He was every inch a strong example of manhood.

When she finally allowed her attention to focus on his face, she saw he had caught her admiring him. She smiled feeling the heat in her cheeks. "Will I need my pelisse?"

"The morning is quite pleasant out. You should be comfortable as you are. If you should get a chill, we shall return."

"I would rather find a place to race," she admitted. "That always invigorates me."

He smiled with pleasure. "We shall find the opportunity." She stepped beside him and looped her hand around his arm. He smiled because she continued to touch him. "We do not have much longer until winter will arrive. I know of a field not far from here where we can ride unhindered from spectators. Ruth is not prepared for such daring, so we shall save it for another time."

"Make it soon, Benny."

He bowed and they stepped outside. He placed his hand over hers as they walked down the steps. Her white mare was tied to a hitching ring with a sidesaddle on her back. She gave her horse an affectionate stroke before moving to mount.

Ben gripped her waist and lifted her onto her saddle, and then placed her foot in the stirrup. When he did, she giggled and his heart leaped. Glancing up at her face, he saw the way her nose wrinkle as it did when she was younger. At that age, he would often hug or snuggle her against him, common with a sweet, playful child. He had the urge to tease her the same way, but after that stolen kiss he knew where such actions would lead them. He would forget her age.

The side of his eyes crinkled with laughter. "You are still playful, aren't you?" He retrieved the reins from the post ring and stepped to her side to hand them to her. "Is there a specific place you wish to ride?"

"Hyde Park isn't far. At this hour of the day there are not many riders. I am quite surprised that we have not noticed one another before, since we both ride in the early part of the day."

"I am not sure I would have recognized you. I seldom pay attention to others when I am riding." He stepped to his dark brown gilding and mounted without need of aid. His length of leg and strength fared him well.

She glanced at her brother who lifted Ruth onto her saddle and handed her the reins. When he turned to Charlotte, he paused while she took a grip on the leg-horn for balance and then raised her foot for him to hoist her into the saddle.

He stood looking at her foot. "I can lift you up like I did Ruth."

"That is not necessary." When he only stood looking at her foot she continued to hold up, she lowered it to the ground and took the reins of her horse from his hand and guided him to the steps leading to the porch. She slipped her foot into the stirrup from the step and hoisted herself up using the leg-horn.