Under The Lights- Daveed Diggs x reader

Start from the beginning

After hours and hours of rehearsals and run throughs, I'd filled up a notebook and a half for costumes for the characters. This time around Lin wanted his cast flexible. Those whose characters were not in the second act were recast as another role, so I had to figure out how to do quick changes not only for the nine main cast members, but for the entire ensemble. As Lin and I packed up our things to head home, the man with the beautiful eyes stopped me. "Hey, Vanessa, right?" I heard Lin and Christopher snicker somewhere behind me and I shot them a look. "Actually, it's Y/N." His eyes widened in embarrassment and his hand lifted to rub the back of his neck. "Sorry, I just thought it was Vanessa since that's what Christopher called you." I shook my head and smiled. "Oh, no. That's just a little joke between us. I was the demo Vanessa when Lin was trying to sell In the Heights. I'm the reason why Vanessa never speaks Spanish. I took French all through high school and college." He nodded and rocked back and forth on his heels. "I've got some questions about costumes and everything you do. Could I have your number to keep in contact?" I nodded and pulled out my phone, switching it with his and I plugged in my contact information. "Alright. I'm headed home, but I'll make a schedule for measuring and design sessions. I'll see you tomorrow?" He nodded enthusiastically, making his hair bob with his movements. I waved goodnight and followed Lin out of the building.

"So, Daveed." I looked up from my buzzing phone to Lin out of the corner of my eye, giving him an eyebrow. "What about Daveed?" He shrugged and wore a small smile. "You texting him?" I put my phone down to look at him headlong. "And if I am?" Once again he shrugged and got up to grab a snack. "Nothing, just remember your worth." I shake my head good naturally. "Alright Dad. Now, I've got to sketch out what my brain was screaming during the workshop. And how to create every outfit as a quick change. Thanks loser."

July 15th, 2015

"Alright everyone! We've practiced these changes for weeks! Remember your number, remember your cue. You all have been a wonder to work with and to create for. I love you all and break a leg!" Everyone is dressed in white for the opening number, and I am proud of my work. "Oh, and Daveed;" Daveed looks up at me, a strange look in his eyes. "Yes, Y/N?" I looked him in the eyes, stoic and serious. "If you rip your pants during Guns and Ships again, you will repay me by organizing the scrap bin." He swallowed visibly and nodded his head. I smiled once again and put my hand out for a group theatre circle. "Break a leg!" Everyone scurried to their cue spot in their costumes and Lin hugged me from behind. "Thank you for doing this for me. I never would be able to have costumes this good if it weren't for you." I turned in his arms and smiled. "I'm glad I did too Lin. Now go, they're calling your name." I listened from my side of the stage, getting everything in order for the main cast. I pulled Daveeds coat off quickly and held out his blue one for him to slide on. "Hey, Y/N, maybe after the show we can-" "Diggs! Get to your cue!" I smiled and nudged him. "Go. Talk to me after the show." He gave a quick kiss to my cheek and went to do his thing on stage. As I pinned the rose to Renée's dress, her sweet voice teased at me. "You do know that he loves you too, right?" I know what she's talking about, but I pretend to play dumb. "Who loves me? Nevermind, neither of us have the time for this. Go kick ass out there." She scrunched her eyebrows at me and pointed her finger to say "This isn't over."

The first act went by in a flash, costume changes and character changes took up all of my time. After I had hung up every dress, every coat, every pair of trousers and corset, Daveed had changed and packed up all of his things. I had just finished mending the lace cuff on his magenta sleeve when he had walked in. He wore a sleeveless Oakland jersey with a matching hat pressed onto his freed hair. "Oh! Daveed! Perfect timing! I was just finishing up here. What was it that you were wanting to tell me?" At my question, it was like a switch had been flipped in him. He went from the cool and collected suave man who the fans fantasized over to a shy and awkward man who had run out of words. Self-doubt and insecurity filled my inner dialogue as I watched him shut down and clam up. I was filled with the fear and anxiety that he had come to ask me to stop staring, to stop caring. I let the silence carry on for a while longer until Anthony called for us to leave. "I, I should probably go, then. You were amazing tonight, not a single trip or stutter. I am so proud of you." I swallowed down the tears making their way up my throat and gave him a watery smile. I grabbed my bag, and started to make a hurried exit until my wrist was caught by a large and calloused hand. "Wait, no. Y/N, I wanted to know if you wanted to grab something to eat, go do something when we don't have a show. You know, like maybe a date? Unless you don't want to, then it'll just be us as friends. I'd actually really appreciate it if you just forgot this whole ordeal and-" I smiled and blushed at his sweet ramblings. I stepped up onto my workbench and gripped his face in my hands. Taking a deep breath I leaned in and connected our lips, praying to every spiritual being in the heavens that they would allow him to kiss me back. I guess praying did me good because after getting over the shock of being interrupted, he kissed me back with the same fervor. Once more, we are called to leave the theater and we break apart, panting lightly with swollen lips and pink cheeks. He helped me down from my step and I lifted myself onto my toes to give a peck to his cheek. "Alright big guy, let's go home. Lin's either knowing of what we were doing, or he's pacing in our living room, police on speed dial. And I would love to go on a date with you."