Necessary Sacrifice

Start from the beginning

"The problem is, whatever happens at Haven is going to affect them whether they like it or not. If Adam gets his way and Haven falls, it's only going to make things worse for the Faunus. Everywhere."

Sun now gets very awkward. He knows that he blew his chance, but not how to transition into being a good friend.

"Adam... He's the guy you used to... work with?"

Blake sighs. She gives an involuntary shudder that she didn't know about.

"Yes."

Sun uses the full extent of his brain power and looks at Blake, seeing her discomfort.

"Sorry, forget I brought it up."

Blake shakes her head, knowing this would come up eventually with someone.

"No, it's okay."

She is silent for a moment, figuring out the best way to start.

"Have you ever met someone and thought to yourself, They are the personification of this word."

Sun doesn't understand, as he doesn't think like Blake does. As he realizes this, he is rubbing his head.

"Uh…"

Blake sees his confusion and once again changes tact.

"Okay, well, I remember getting to know Ruby and thinking, 'This girl is the embodiment of purity.' After a while, I saw Weiss was defiance. And Yang was strength.

Sun is a little curious as to what she sees him as...even after everything.

"What am I?"

Blake pauses, smiling. She feels comfortable enough with him to at least give him a word.

"Jury's still out on that one, but I'm leaning towards earnest."

At this, Sun wraps his tail around his cup and takes a sip from it, before leaning on his hand and putting on his coolest smile. Blake chuckles and smiles for a bit, before frowning as she continues.

"At first I thought Adam was justice, then I thought he was passion. But over time, I realized I was wrong. He wasn't any of those things. He was spite. Not hatred, not rage, spite. He won't accept equality, only suffering for what he feels the world did to him, and his way of thinking is dangerously contagious. That's what worries me about Ilia. She's not like Adam, not yet at least, but I don't know how long that will last.

Sun pursues the topic carefully.

"She was your friend, huh?"

Blake nods both fervently and forlornly.

"She was. Her chameleon traits meant she could pass as human. She could've lived a normal life if she wanted, but she didn't. I always admired that. She lost her family in a mining accident when she was young, then she joined the White Fang. Like me, she was more or less trained on the road alongside other Faunus. She learned to survive, to defend herself, but as people like Sienna and Adam started to gain a following, she became more dangerous. I guess I did too. My parents tried to get me to leave with them, but I refused. I had Adam and Ilia, after all."

Sun tries to rip off the band-aid carefully.

"You know we're gonna have to face her eventually."

Blake's acknowledgement is entirely sad this time. 

"I know."

Sun cocks his head and leans in.