The Volunteer

Grilling the snake meat over a fire, Y/N Lennox yawned. It had been a long day of slaying Grimm and he was exhausted. However he felt someone's eyes upon him and turned around, hand on his holstered pistol. Standing there leaning on a cane was a white haired man with green eyes and a green suit. The man then says to Y/N.

"What's your favorite fairy tale?" A little stunned by this strange man's sudden appearance, but having a vague memory of the man as an important part of the Kingdom's defence, Y/N answers. "Sir, I'm not sure, a few rang true with me like the ancient heroes who protected mankind, slayed Grimm, and rescued people in perilous danger. I've always looked up to them, but it always felt like there was something beyond them to strive for. So I guess I don't have a favorite fairy tale."

"Very astute Mr. Lennox. There are indeed legends of beings beyond the heroes of old. Have you ever heard of the gods of Remnant? The Old Ones who fought against the forces of Grimm?."

"I've heard of many sir. Quite frankly, too many to count, different to every culture and every land. Many were probably just people with powerful semblances."

"Again you've got the nail on the head. No wonder Qrow seemed to think so highly of you. And by the look of you, you seem to hold him in high esteem as well." It was quite easy to see what the man meant, Y/N had styled his outfit after his mentor. Surprised by this man's knowledge of his past, Y/N took a step back. He looked more suspiciously at Ozpin and asked him a question.

"Just who are you sir? How do you know Professor Qrow? And if you don't mind me asking; why are you here?" Shifting his weight on his cane, the White haired man with green eyes smiled.

"Well my dear boy, I am Professor Ozpin, headmaster of Beacon Academy and Qrow is a friend of mine. As for why I'm here, I heard you have quite the semblance yourself. Qrow did say he named it 'God of War' for a reason. I know you've been through quite a painful 17 years on this planet, and that has led you to hunt Grimm all alone in the wilderness, but how would you like to return to protecting the people, like your parents once did?"
Honestly tired of the loneliness and pain of self exile, Y/N sighed and leaned forward on his great sword.

"How would I do that Professor?"

"Enroll in Beacon, become a huntsman, save people, and let us train every facet of you until your skills, resolve, and mind, are all tougher than diamond. As much as I'd like to deny it, a war is coming to Remnant, and I'd rather have the 'God of War' trained and on my side when this war begins." Chuckling, Y/N answers in a doubtful tone.

"I don't know if Professor Qrow was right to call me the God of War, and I don't know how helpful I'll be in your war sir, but like you said, it's time I get back to hunting things, saving people, the Family Business. So I'll sign up, I'll train in your academy, and I'll do my best to follow in my parent's footsteps. You have my word."

"Very good Mr. Lennox, very Good. I'll leave you to sort out your affairs, be at Beacon the day the new year starts." Ozpin turns and starts to walk off into the forest. Before he does, Y/N is curious.

"Professor Ozpin? How did you find me? Surely the headmaster of Beacon Academy has better things to do than hunt down a lone potential student." Smiling as if he were about to tell a joke, Ozpin laughed.

"A dusty old bird told me." As he turned back around and left, Ozpin looked up and nodded to a Crow with red eyes, watching from a tree.

Later on the bullhead back to Beacon, Ozpin received a message on his scroll from Qrow.

"Look Oz, I know he's special and all, but could you give the kid a normal time at Beacon? He's been through enough pain for a lifetime, and he still just volunteered for our war. He deserves some happiness at least."
Typing in reply, Ozpin looked up at the shattered moon.