Chapter Twelve

I got out of bed and looked at my window, it was well past noon.

Mary soon came in. "Adelaide! Oh, thank goodness you are alright. Sit down, I'm afraid you'll fall."

So I did as she said. "What happened? I only remember screaming and then waking up here."

Mary began to explain that after the execution I went to the winery and got four of the finest bottles and drank until I passed out. She said she found me in the garden passed out with blood running down my face. She assumed I fell while I was intoxicated, so she brought me to my room and the physician stitched me up and told me all I need was rest.

"So. You're telling me I've been asleep for how many days now?"

"Six days to say the least. I was told not to disturb you, but to only check up on you at least twice a day. Please tell me you're feeling better."

"I'm fine. As good as I can be." The wound on my heart from Edwards death is still fresh. I don't care about physical wounds nor do I care about how long I've been asleep. Edward is dead and it's because of me.

"I'll go tell your mother and father that you are well now. Stay safe Adelaide." Mary left my room but she left a dress, maybes she's hoping I'll get ready and go take a walk? Why not, what else do I have to do?

I took a walk around the gardens, taking time to smell the fresh air. It was a beautiful day, Edward would've loved it. I sat down by the lake thinking how fast my life changed within a matter of days. While I was consumed by thoughts, someone was walking towards me. I don't care, they can make themselves known.

A familiar voice echoed through my ears, "Adelaide? It's me. William."