Chapter Twenty-Three

I finished packing the final things needed for the move to my new home. I took a final look at my bedroom before I closed the door and met with Mary and John.

We held onto each other for a long time before I had the courage of asking them to come with me.

"I can't be without you two. Whenever you're ready to leave, you're always welcome to Peluigon. So, what do you say?"

Mary shook her head. "My brother wouldn't want to go. You know I can't leave him, Adelaide. I'm all he has."

I nodded. I wasn't disappointed, I have no right to be. "I'll miss you, Mary. More than you know."

She hugged me as her tears dripped down my shoulder, "I'll miss you always, my dearest friend."

When we finally broke our hug, I looked at John. "Will you join me?"

He looked back at the castle and smiled, "I'd be honored to serve you in Peluigon, Adelaide."

I laughed and cried as I hugged John, at least I wouldn't lose him, I couldn't bare to be alone.

My father watched me from his balcony as I entered the carriage with William. I waved goodbye and he nodded.

William stared out his window and didn't make eye contact with me as I held his hand within mine.

"Odd."

The carriage began to move and we were off.

I looked back and saw my home getting smaller and smaller into the night, until I couldn't see it anymore.