Chapter One

"Adelaide, you wake up right now. Do you know what day it is young lady?" -Silence- "What? Too tired to even answer your own mother?"

Yes, meet my mother, the Queen of Kingdom Vethuven, known as Nevera Ayer to those closest in her life. She can be a pain in the ass but I love her beyond words can explain and I wouldn't replace her for the world. I don't think, though, she understands that I need my rest.

I took the two white pillows off my face and rolled over, very dramatically I may add, where my mother was opening my curtains to "let the sun shine in my den," as she always says.
"See" *Hiccup* "I'm up, I don't get what the big deal is." Hopefully she doesn't realize I had an entire bottle of Pinot Noir the night prior..

"Ah, her highness has finally awaken, I am very glad to see that you are up before teatime today." She bowed as she said this. Poor mother, always making jokes that I never find quite funny; I always laugh to make her feel better because she never has anyone to talk to in this cold castle of ours.

"Very funny. I could've slept at least for another two hours, you know? One day I will be queen, so might as well get rest before I have an entire kingdom to take care of. Speaking of that, I don't know how you do it." I sat up now. "Sometimes I am bewildered on how you are able to keep calm everyday."

My mother never took well to compliments, maybe because she was always busy worrying about her children and her ungrateful husband to even care about things like that. My mother may be persistent and obnoxious at times, but she holds our family together, and I mean that. She gave birth to four children while my father was screwing some whores through all of it. She doesn't like to admit to that, she wants to see the best in him, but everyone knows how he treats her. I'm all my mom has in this god forsaken place, since my sisters are both married and moved in with their husbands and with my brother always moving from place to place. They didn't want the crown, I don't understand why. So much power for one person seems so wonderful to me.

She smiled and shook her head, as she often did when I tried to make her feel comfortable around me. "My, my, Adelaide, you really have forgotten what today is."

" Today? What's today?" "Think Adelaide, think."

"No. It can't be today. Can't it?"

"Yes, happy birthday darling." She gave me a kiss on the cheek. "You know you only turn sixteen once. I'm sure you would've remembered if you haven't drank so much last night..." She lifted the bottle I tried to hide under my sheets, obviously not very well.

"Mom, I can explain. I-"

"Now I won't tell your him, (him being my father) if you hurry up and get dressed to meet us in the great hall, and please don't be late, you know how he gets."

And with that, she was out the door just as quickly as she came in. A stared into my ceiling with my mind in the clouds.

"So I am officially sixteen years old, congratulations Adelaide, at least you didn't drink yourself to death by now."