Chapter Fourteen

Eight months had passed since the death of Edward and my new friendship with William.

William and I spent a lot of time together these past couple of months. He made me laugh and he made many of efforts to try and make me smile. He left roses for me in my room at least once a week, its quite nice having someone who wants to spend as much time with me as possible. I don't know how my feelings are towards him, though. I feel like he genuinely cares about me, but in the end, one man will always occupy my mind. Edward.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Winter was quickly approaching, and around this time, my mother and I always go into town to bring the people fresh bread and soup so they are able to have a nice warm meal before we run low on food. However, mother has been ill lately. She says she's been having chests pains and sweating during the night. The physician doesn't know what is going on with her, so he told her she must rest as much as she can, especially since winter is near.

I walk into my mothers bedroom and find her laying in bed, as she has been for the past two months.

"Hello mother." I kissed her cheek and sit next to her. "How are you feeling today?"

Her voice lost its regular toon, now it's just raspy. "I'm alright, dear. How are you? I heard from Mary that you and William are spending quite a lot of time together these days."

I chuckled. "Yes. Yes, we have been spending a lot of time with one another. He's a good man, he's trying, I know he is. But mother. I don't know if I could ever care for him in the way that he wants me to.. what happened with Edward changed my mind about love forever. What if something happens to William right now? Hm? I'm just frightened to feel that way again about someone."

"Adelaide. That is life. We lose people we love everyday. You must keep fighting. If not for yourself, fight for Edward. Live for him. He would not want you to spend your life in the shadows afraid of feeling things all people in the world deserve to feel. He would want you to be happy, you owe him that."

"Oh, mother." With the words my dearest mother said, I started to cry in her arms. "I miss him, I miss him so much." The tears kept falling down my face like rain.

"There, there. Crying is good. Let it out... Now. Let me wipe those tears off your face." She smiled at me and hugged me once more before telling me to ask William to help me donate food to the people.

And with that, I ran to find the man I was falling in love with.