Chapter Forty

I told everyone to leave me as I stared into the dark, cracked wall in front of me. I felt nothing anymore and I no longer have anything to live for.

William walked in and approached me with upmost caution. "What happened, Adelaide."

I looked at him, I haven't got a good look at his face since the coronation. He was pale and he lost weight; he looked unwell.

"I lost the child." A single tear quickly went down my face.

His eyes turned to anger as he grabbed me by the neck. "You will produce another child, we need this heir. I do not care what I have to do to you, but a child will be born."

I felt my air giving out as I tried fighting back by hitting his arms as hard as I could. "Wil- William. Please. Le- Let go."

He let go of his grip around me neck and adjusted his shirt. "Do I make myself clear? Hm?"

I nodded, unable to speak. He slammed the door as he walked out, and that is when I knew that this man was not the man I married.

I slowly got up and went to the mirror to see the marks around my neck. It was turning a darker shade of blue and purple faster than I expected.

Ferren entered the room with the softest smile in the world. "How I wish I could be her, even just for one day."

"My lady, I brought you the-." She looked up at me and saw the injuries around my neck. "Holy shit, Adelaide." She softly touched my neck. "Who did this to you? Don't tell me it was that arrogant pig."

I held her hands with mine and shook my head. "I'm alright. He was angry, and I was the closet one he could take his anger out on."

"No. I'm sorry, your highness, but no. If he was any bit of a man, he would not lay a hand on you. You are the only hope we have for Peluigon. You must become the queen you are destined to be. John and I know of your strength, now you must show everyone else.. Do not hold back, Adelaide. For the sake of us all."

I looked at my friend as she said these words to me. She was right. I have people that look up to me, that have faith in me.

I adjusted my posture and sat on the bed. "I will be attending the council meeting today, can you help me get ready?"