Chapter Thirty-Eight

At the end of the evening I went to my bedroom, waiting for Ferren to help me get ready for bed.

I was sitting on my bed when William came in. "Adelaide, can we talk?"

I didn't want to look at him nor did I want to speak to him.

"Adelaide. Look at me. Now."

"You do not get to order me, William, not after what you did."

"I'm sorry, please. I can't lose you."

"You already did." I stood up and finally looked at the man who I thought I knew. His heart was poisoned and his true intentions came out. "I don't want to sleep in the same room as you. So, please, go to your old chamber and stay there."

He laughed and slammed the door on his way out. I sat next to my window and cried for the first time since the day began.

Ferren came in with my nightgown and I ran to hug her. She held me close as I screamed my pain into her shoulders.

"I'm alone, Ferren. So alone."

"Shh. I'm here, your majesty." She calmed me down, and cleaned me up for bed.

As I laid in bed, she held my hand and we talked all through the night about things to take my mind off all the pain I have endured in the last year and a half.

She left and wished me a good night as she blew out the candles.