Chapter Thirty-Seven

I entered the party with Ferren by my side, she wanted me to rest but I couldn't leave the guests wondering about where I went.

John came up to me and asked me what happened. He always knew when something was wrong, so I told him.

He pulled his sleeves up. "Where is he. He won't get out of this alive." I haven't seen him this angry since Edwards death.

I pulled his arm back as he was walking away, "John, no. It's alright. Truly." He nodded at me and sat back down with the rest of the guards

I sat in my seat and watched those in love with one another dance the night away. Oh, how I envied them.

William came back into the ball as if nothing had happened only half an hour before. He took his place next to me and we sat in silence.

Before the ball was about to end, Williams brother, Gabriel, stood up to make a toast. He was different from my husband. He had dirty blond hair and a clean shaven face. He was a sweetheart from what I heard from the servants around the palace, but I have never spoke to him.

He asked William and I to stand and we did. "I'm very happy to have Adelaide Villeret Geier, apart of my family. Her and my brother are much too in love and I hope to have their love on day. To the king." He raised his glass. "To the queen." He nodded his head to me. "And to the future heir of Vethuven and Pelugion." He smiled as everyone was applauding us.

William lifted his hand next to me, waiting for me to take. I brought myself to hold his hand and smile while he looked at me with his deceiving eyes. The tears could not be stopped as they slowly fell down my plush cheeks.