Chapter Nine

The next morning I awoke to screams coming from Mary.

"Mary, what in the hell is wrong? Mary!"

"Its Edward.. Adelaide-"

"Goddammit, Mary. What is wrong with Edward? Is he alright? Is he hurt?"

"Your father. He has sentenced him to death."

My world stopped. He couldn't have found out. I only told Mary. She wouldn't have told anyone. But.. William. No. It can't be.

"Mary, find me the easiest dress to put on. Do not follow me, please stay here."

She agreed and I quickly slipped into my dress and ran to my fathers council room. I stormed in there, not giving a damn who was there.

"What do you think you're doing? Hm? Are you insane?"

My father motioned for everyone to leave the room. "When were you planning on telling me you were engaged? Especially to a village boy."

"He may be a village boy, but he is a bigger man than you will ever be. You cannot kill him. I won't let you."

He laughed, like he thought I was going mad. "Or what? What are you going to do Adelaide? Cry? Scream? Maybe even throw something at me?" You live in my home, you are my child. I will do whatever I want, whenever I want. That boy will die tomorrow at sunrise and that is final. Now get out."

"No. Not until you stop his execution. He did nothing wrong. Please." I got on my knees. "I beg you, don't kill him. Banish him, just don't kill him. Please, I can't see him die." I started crying, I couldn't see the only man who has ever cared about me die, I rather never see him again than have his entire life taken from him.

"Get up, fool. Understand that when you become queen, happiness is not an option. I will allow you to see him in the dungeons, but that is it. Your marriage to William is final."

I got up and wiped away the crumbs on my dress and the tears on my face. I apologized to the councilmen as I walked down to the dungeon where they were keeping my beloved.

"I would rather suffer at the hands of the devil rather than feel the pain of losing him."