Chapter Thirty-Two

I finally got out of my month old nightgown and took a bath to rid myself of my stench. I got ready and found John to tell him the news I gotten only two hours before, who would I be if I didn't tell my oldest friend that I was pregnant.

He gave me a tight hug and I reminded him that there was a baby down there.

"Oh, right. Sorry." We both had a good laugh and I told him to write to Mary as soon as possible.

"Make sure to write that I apologize for not personally writing it, I'm going to be quite busy from now on."

"Adelaide, she'll understand."

Before John left to train the new palace guards, I told him to inform my husband to meet me by the gardens.

I took sometime for myself so I can understand that I will be a mother in less than a year.

I looked down at my stomach and said, "I would gladly give my life for you, little one."

William walked up to me not long after.

"I'm glad to see you up and about, Adelaide." He kissed my forehead.

I chuckled.

"So, what have you called me here for." His tone with me changed, like I was bothering him. Maybe I was, I shouldn't overthink it.

I leaned towards him and hugged him. I stood on my tippy toes and whispered in his ear, "I'm pregnant with your child."

He pulled me away from him and looked at me with disbelief. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. The physician came to my corridors today and asked me questions about the things that have been happening to me. Such as being nauseous, missing my monthly womanly thing, headaches, back pain, and fainting."

He let go of my shoulders and nodded. "That's wonderful news." He didn't smile, he didn't hug me, and he most certainly didn't behave in the way I expected him to.

"Is that it? I tell you I'm holding your child, your heir, and that is the way you act?"

I saw anger in his eyes, like he was mad that I defied him in any way. But he replied calmly. "You're right, I'm sorry."

He kissed my cheek and left. Left me in the middle of the garden without a single shred of happiness about him becoming a father to our child.

"Who are you anymore, William."