Chapter twenty three

            “Hey, if you are riding with me then you better get downstairs and in the car.” Thomas says while peeking in my door.

            “I’m driving myself, thanks though.” I tell him softly, my voice hoarse.

            “Brook…”

            “I got it, okay? I can drive myself to school.” I say firmly, trying to get him to leave me alone for now.

            “Okay.” he says softly nodding before shutting the door.

            I grab my bag and look in the mirror at my ripped jeans, graphic t, and purple high-top converse. I dap a little makeup on my face and eyes to hide the sadness in my face and cover it up to make it look fake. I walk out of the room and out the front door, walking towards my car.

            “Where ya going B!?” Dalton calls, standing next to Thomas’s car. I look over my shoulder and catch Rodger looking at me from the open back door.

            Thomas says something and then Dalton looks back to me before nodding slightly and getting into the car. I get into mine and back out of the driveway, following Garran and the others to the school. When we have reached the parking lot I park beside Garran’s car and feel the eyes on me. I sigh a deep sigh and grab my bag before getting out of the car and making my way to the front door. I can feel their eyes on me, can hear the whispers they make. I walk inside the building, ignoring all of it as I make my way to my locker, putting my things inside and walking down the hall. There is a door open and as I walk by I peer inside, finding that it is the library. I smile slightly at finding somewhere to go other then outside.

            I walk inside slowly and look around. There are round tables in the middle of the room and rows and rows of bookshelves around them but in every corner there is a few bean bags and a magazine rack. I walk to one of the tables, finding at least two of them full and one occupied by a cute boy with a laptop. I take a seat at the table next to his and he looks up, flashing me a smile. I dig in my bag until I find a book and begin reading it. I have only made it to the second paragraph when I hear someone take a seat at my table. I look up and find a girl with long blond curly hair and brown eyes looking back at me, when she smiles it isn’t one that says ‘hi, you live with the Parker brothers, want to be best friends so I can use you to get closer to them?’, this one is genuine, as if saying ‘hi, welcome to California.’

            “Hi, I’m Kate,” she says, holding a hand out to me from across the table.

            “Brooklyn.”

            “You look lonely…. Do you want to join us?” she says, giving me another smile as she looks back behind her to one of the full tables, the people at it watch us, their eyes not judging but inviting.

            “Sure,” I say, nodding slowly, knowing I should make friends if they are being offered.

            I stand and gather my things, walking over to their table slowly, Kate staying behind to walk me the short distance.

            “This is Brooklyn everyone.” She announces and they smile, greeting me in some way.

            “You can all call me Brook.” I smile and they smile back.

            They all talk about different things, about new assignments that have been assigned and yearbook. I look behind me, sensing someone behind me. I look over my shoulder and find the cute boy with the laptop.