Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One

Rodger’s POV

Her face is all that is in my mind right now. The field has faded into the distance and is replaced with her.

      But the images of her that flash through my mind, are ones that I have never seen before. Ones of her laughing, one of her lying on the floor, blood spread out around her.

      And then it hits me. It isn’t like a physical blow, but it feels as if a wave of memories flood through my mind, splashing against the sides of my brain, making images flash through my mind at full force.

      Brooklyn standing in front of the front door with a suitcase in hand, her sitting at the dining room table, her scars, her swimming, her with Roderick, her asleep in a bed and many more. But they all aren’t of her, there are a lot of the boys, parties, school, girls, everything that I couldn’t remember from this past year.

      Coach blows his whistle suddenly and I jump, the field returning and everything else disappearing.

      I have to get home, I have to tell her that I remember, I have to let her know that she isn’t lost anymore.

      I stand quickly and throw my bag over one shoulder before running down the bleacher stairs, reaching the bottom quickly. I run across the outside of the field, sprinting to my car.

      Someone calls my name but I don’t have time to turn around, don’t have time to stop, don’t have any time to waste.

      The feeling of the old me has returned, my feelings and knowledge of what I had with her. But most of all knowing what al she has gone through, everything she has battled without me being there by her side almost kills me. I don’t know what I would have done if she wasn’t able to remember me.

       The need to get home is so strong I sprint the whole way to my car and hurry inside. I speed out of the parking lot but not before I see Thomas and Dalton running out to the parking lot, confused looks on their faces.

      But I can’t stay and tell them right now, I have to get home.

      I have to get home to the girl I remember.

z          

      I pull into the driveway and come stop a screeching halt before getting out, slamming my door quickly shut and running towards the door, once of which is wide open and in the doorway stands a screaming and crying Kale.

      “What is it little man?” I ask him and he shakes his head and I take in his appearance. One of which is covered in blood.

      Panic floods through me and I look inside, finding a body laying sprawled out on the floor. At first I think it is Wendy but as my feet bring my quickly to her I realize most horrifying that it was Brook. “Brooklyn!?” I yell and run the rest of the way to her.

      Her face is red and swollen and she lays limp on the floor, blood coming out and falling into a puddle that has formed beneath her. I bend down and pull her into my lap, my eyes grazing over every inch of her body and land on the bloody wound that she clutches with her hands on her stomach.

      “No, no, no, please. Brook, stay with me alright, don’t leave me.” I plea, pulling her closer to my body. I can tell that she has been like this for a while and anger and guilt flood through me at the thought of me sitting on the bleachers while she and Kale went through this. “Kale! Get me the house phone, hurry!” I call out to my still crying brother who stands watching me, tears staining his cheeks.