Chapter Seventeen

This chapter has been rewritten and events have changed.

A month passes, me keeping the same routine. School, homework, time with Tanner and Monica. The football team had won the remainder of their games, landing them one of the two spots in state.

This had the boys and the town buzzing with excitement. Signs hung on the sides of buildings, window chalk decorated the windows of the local businesses.

The bell rings, and a voice over the intercom requests everyone meet in the assembly room for a pep rally. After everyone has taken their seats, the cheerleaders give an introduction, perform a couple of routines, and then each of them drag a chair to the middle of the stadium floor. Wiggling inviting fingers to the football team, the players move to fill the empty seats.

Rodger can been seen dragging his feet towards one of the chairs, a water bottle clutched tightly in his grasp.

I wonder silently if it was actually water.

"We just wanted to give these boys some love before we send them off." The cheer captain says sweetly through the microphone. Trisha takes her place in front of Rodger, running her hands playfully through his hair, his face looking bored and unphased.

They dance around the boys, hands running over the sets of broad shoulders, making most of the boys howl and smile big grins. I couldn't allow myself to watch, instead I pulled out my phone and scrolled silently through social media.

School let out for a half day, allowing time for the students and faculty time to reach the game that was three hours away. Monica, Tanner and I agreed to ride together, parting briefly to run home and change. I slip into the new team shirt I bought for the occasion, a pair of American Eagle jeans, and my white Nike Courts.

I am touching up my makeup when I hear Tanner honking loudly outside. I curse softly, running the brush quickly through my hair, and grab a jacket before rushing downstairs, his honking continuing.

*

The game starts off solid, our boys were scoring point after point. It isn't until the middle of the game that they start to fall off track.

And by they, it's Rodger.

His throws were landing right in the hands of the other team, and his timing was lagging. Dalton has grown obviously aggravated with his brother, and can been seen shouting, slapping the back of Rodger's helmet roughly.

The coach pulls Rodger aside, his mouth opening widley as he too shouts at Rodger for his gameplay. Rodger can be seen nodding, removing his helmet as he grabs a clear water bottle from the bench, he takes a drink before the coach slaps it from his hand, his face blazing red with anger.

Coach Tyler then grabs a different bottle, a green one label with the Gatorade symbol, and pushes it into Rodger's chest. Rodger's eyes stare back, emotionless as he takes the bottle from the coaches hand, and tosses it to the side before returning back to the field.

Somehow, Rodger is able to summon back his juju, and the boys finish the state championship with a big win. Our side of the stands roar in victory, the boys jumping below us, pulling each other into tight, celebratory embraces.

After moments of celebrating, I watch as Coach Tyler pulls Rodger to the side, pointing a hard finger into Rodgers' chest. Rodgers' mouth never moves in reply to what was being said to him, just silent nods.

Soon, the teammates slap hands with their opponents, and head back to the locker room to get changed for their bus ride home. The three of us make our way through the crowd, settling gratefully into the soft seats of Tanner's car.