Chapter Twenty Six

Ugh! So sorry this is so late! :( My laptop crashed! Good thing I had all my books saved on a hard drive or I would have been in some trouble! ;) But here is a chapter and to make it up to all of you I am updating two chapters! So sorry for the hold up!

Enjoy!

Chapter twenty six

      I look in the mirror at my reflection. My brown hair that was once at my elbows has grown to hang at my waist over time. My scars are fading becoming a light pink, some even white. My skin is tanned from being in the California sun.

      I have changed so much since I have lived here, changed in so many ways. Some good, and some bad.

      I take a deep breath, trying to prepare myself for the day that lays ahead for me. I have decided to go to school today, I can’t keep running from my problems, I would have to face Daniel sometime anyway.

      I have decided to wear a graphic t, ripped jean shorts, and a pair of converse. I have applied a little makeup, covering the few bruises that litter my cheek bones.

      I grab my messenger bag and walk from the room. I slowly make my way down the stairs and heading for the kitchen. I go to the pantry and grab a granola bar from the shelf and shut the door, jumping when Wendy is standing on the other side.

      “You scared me.” I say breathlessly, my heart racing slightly.

      “Aren’t you going to eat something?” she asks me, raising the eyebrows that are above her concerned eyes.

      I hold up the granola bar and give her a slight smile and she grabs my arm, shaking her head.

      “Nonsense.” She mutters, dragging me into the dining room and plopping me down in a chair.

      “I’m really not that hungry.” I tell her, looking down into my lap. Everyone has stopped talking and their eyes rest on me.

      “Yes you are and you know it.” she says, filling up a plate with pancakes and bacon.

      As if on cue my stomach rumbles and I groan to myself. I munch on a piece of bacon, ignoring the silence I caused when I sat down.

      “Who was that boy who came by yesterday? He was very nice.” Wendy asks me from down the table.

      I know she didn’t mean to but her question caused even more tension in the little dining room. I see Rodger stiffen from across the table and I watch him through my eyelashes as he stabs a piece of pancake angrily.

      “Tanner.” I tell her softly, still watching Rodger.

      “Do you know him from school?” she asks, in her voice I know she wants to know the true answer, as if the boys told her but she wanted to hear it from me.

      “No, I know him from home.”

      She doesn’t say anything, only nods and I hear Rodger snort from across the table.

      “Yea, the stalker followed her all the way here.” he mumbles.

      “At least he would follow me. He did it because he, unlike some, actually care.” I snap, getting up from the table and taking my plate to the sink before slamming the front door and driving to school.

      “I heard about what happened with Daniel…. I’m sorry… I should have gone back with you-…” Kate begins but I stop her.