Chapter Twenty Eight

Chapter twenty eight

      The next morning I avoid him like the plague. I stay in my room as I get ready, taking a shower slowly and brushing my teeth. I blow dry my hair and let it hang down. Since I have moved here it has grown and now hangs down to my butt.

      I throw on some dark eye makeup to make my green eyes pop and then get dressed in a blouse, ripped short jeans short, and flip flops. I take my time gathering my things and putting them into my school bag. I feed ‘Sandy’ and then remain sitting on my bed. All out of things to do.

      I eyes graze the room and then stop on the side table beside my bed and I open the drawers and pull out my journal. My eyes rest on it, deciding whether or not I want to spill myself out and make myself a wreck before I even walk out of my room.

      Then I remember.

      He has read this. Rodger has read my secrets, my feelings, my thoughts. How much had he read?

      Anger burns inside of me at the thought of my most secretive things being released to someone without my permission.

      I grab a pen that sits beside my bed and flip to a open page, the ball of the writing utensil hovering over the yellow paper, ready for the words to flow onto the pages.

      I run my mind over everything that has happened over the time since I haven’t written inside my little book.

      My new friends.

      Tanner.

      Rodger.

      Daniel.

      Fear makes my body shake slightly, sending goose bumps over my skin. His actions, his words, everything about him makes the shakes become harder.

      “And if you tell anyone I will fucking make your life the worst.”

      Fearful tears sting my eyes but my body is to frozen to be able to wipe them away when they stream onto my cheeks.

      “And if you tell anyone I will fucking make your life the worst.”

      “Brook?” someone calls and out of the corner of my eye I see the door open.

      The journal falls from my hands and the control for my body returns, allowing me to wipe the tears away and to pick it up, not looking at them.

      “Are you alright?” he asks me.

      “I’m fine.” I say, a little more hastily then I should.

      I feel his eyes burning holes into the back of my head as I replace my journal to the nightstand and grab my bag. I turn towards him but keep my eyes of the floor, beginning to walk past him and almost reaching the door when he grabs my hand and pulls me to him. His blue eyes shining with concern.

      “What going on?” he asks me softly.

      “Nothing.” I say firmly.

      “Don’t lie to me.” he whispers.

      “Don’t act like you care.”

      Surprise covers his face and I am a little taken back for my words also.

      “What?” he shakes his head slightly, as if he wasn’t sure he heard me correctly.

      “Your heard me.” I say, my voice shaking slightly.