Epilogue

Chapter Forty Two

Epilogue

Two months later

    I make my way to the stairs and towards the dining room that is full with the morning chaos. Rodger is waiting at the top of the stairs, looking at the ground until he sees me approaching. When he sees me he smiles and his eyes shine.

      After weeks in the hospital and with me starting physical therapy, I am trying to get my life back to normal. We all are. With what happened with Daniel, Kale and I, and with Rodger getting his memory back, everything has been pretty wild.

      Daniel was caught two days after he broke into my house and attempted to kill both Kale and I. Then he went to court three weeks after the incident happened, in which they pleated him not guilty and went for the momentarily insanity plea. He was sentenced into a mental hospital where he will see a philologist and get the help he needs. They sat he won’t be getting out for while.

      And I believe them.

      Kale has been seeing a therapist himself, they thought maybe it would help him talk about what he witnessed and for him to one day put it in his past.

      They have been wanting me to see one but I haven’t been able to yet. I don’t want to talk about what happened that day for I am trying to forget it by myself, talking about it just makes me remember everything I DON’T want to remember.

      The only people I feel comfortable talking about it with is Rodger and my mother. After it happened both Steve and my father rushed down but I couldn’t tell them what happened.

      Turns out that Daniel gave me a four inch stomach wound to the stomach, which I was lucky to survive, as well as the amount of blood I lost after I earned the wound. Along with the other injuries he gave me I was out for three days and when I woke up I was in a shock for one when we tried to discuss what happened.

      Rodger says that besides the incident itself the shock was one of the scariest events that happened with all this. I wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t talk, he said it was like I was in a daze that he couldn’t pull me away from.

      I don’t remember any of it really.

      Words couldn’t tell anyone how thankful I am that Rodger got his memory back when he did. He has helped me through this so well, he has been here for me through it all, and so have the others, but it means so much more that he was as well.

      I returned to school about two weeks ago to find everyone already informed about what happened. I had already seen Kate, Tori and their crowd at the hospital and besides the boys; I hadn’t seen anyone else for a month and two weeks. Everyone had stared at me, the whispers were about as loud as their normal voices but I continued to act like I couldn’t hear what they were saying, and with Rodger, the boys, and my new friends by my side, it was a pretty easy thing to do.

      We walk down the stairs, hand in hand until we have reached the doorway to the dining room, he pulls me away from the door last minute and looks me deep in the eye, about to ask me the very same question he does every morning.

      “You alright?” he asks, his eyes shining with concern. “Any nightmares last night?”

      “I’m fine.” I nod and he frowns slightly.

      “You lying?”

      I smile slightly and shake my head, looking him straight in the eyes.

      “Do I ever?” I joke before planting a kiss on his cheek and pulling him into the dining room.

      We take our seats at the tables, everyone greeting us with happy smiles and conversation.

      Ever since the incident, I have realized how priceless life really is. How I should cherish every moment I have for I never know when my moments may be up, how they all just might end, like they almost did that one day. I almost lost it all, almost lost everyone I had left.

      It made me realize how selfish I had been when I attempted what I did this summer. I may not have noticed this at the time but there are people who care about me now, people who would be hurt if I had actually taken my life.

      Just like I had been when my mother left me.

      I won’t do that to them like she did it to me.

      After breakfast I wander back up to my room, getting dressed and making my hair look presentable before gathering up Sandy and walking out of my room, where I find Rodger waiting for me yet again, leaning against the wall beside my door, picking at his fingernails.

      His head jerks up when he sees me exit my room and he looks down at me hands and to Sandy before looking back up at me.

      “Is it time?” he asks me.

      “It was time two months ago.” I chuckle and he smiles.

      “She won’t want to leave.” He smiles and we walk down the stairs and hallway yet again before reaching the front door. We walk down the front steps and around the house, me already knowing where I want to put her.

      When we have reached the tree that perches beside my bedroom window I take a deep breath and look down at Sandy who clutched my fingers tightly with her little hands, her beady black eyes taking in her surroundings.

      “Do you remember the outside Sandy?” I ask her softly and her eyes meet mine. Hers aren’t filled with fear, they are filled with a hint of excitement and the way she squirms in my arms I know she is excited.

      Rodger’s hand sits at the lower part of my back, reminding me of his presence.

      “I guess I will see you around.” I tell her smiling before reaching up and setting my hand on a branch of the tree, waiting for her to leave me hands. Her head darts from side to side and soon she slowly steps onto the branch, her little feet leaving my hands.

       We watch as she scurries from one branch to another, looking around at everything that was around her. Soon, other squirrels join with her and she jumps into another tree and disappears from our sight.

      I turn to Rodger and find him already looking at me with a smile on his face.

      “Guess she is starting with a new beginning.” I say softly and with both of our hands interlocked he smiles before pressing his lips to mine and resting his forehead against my own.

      “We all are.”

Heyyy! I am so sorry to say this, but yes... this was the end. I am thinking both 'Yay!' and 'No!' and cant decide which thought I like most! :D But thank you so much for sticking with me throughout this story! And thank you so much for all the amazing comments and votes! I really couldn't have gotten as far as I did without you! I cant thank you enough!

Thank you so much for reading the last chapter of Beware of the Parker Boys. :)