Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six

Brook’s POV

Two Days Later

            Today was Friday. Two days since I have talked to Thomas. Three since I have talked to Rodger.

            A empty feeling has been sitting in the pit of my stomach ever since Thomas left that day. Even with Tanner there to hang out with and act like everything is okay, I know it’s not.

            Without anything to keep my mind busy I have been thinking about everything that has gone wrong in my life. Just thinking about the events makes the feeling in my stomach stronger, making me feel overwhelmed.

            Rodger has amnesia. My mother is dead. My father abandoned me, twice.

            I need someone to talk to, someone who would understand, someone who would just listen to me fume.

            That’s why I have to answer his daily call today. To find out what I need to know.

      When I walk through the door at Tanner’s house alone I walk down the hallway slowly. The boys are expecting me back today and I am dreading the moment that I have to walk through the door. But before I do that, I have some business that I have to take care of.

      I walk upstairs to the bedroom I have occupied and grab the now empty duffle bag from the corner of the room and load my things inside, waiting for my phone to buzz with the alarm of his call.

      As if on cue, my phone buzzes and I pick it up and read the name. As my plan continues I let it ring twice, making him think that I am going to let it ring on as always. That way, my answering will be a surprise.

      “Hello.”

      “Brooklyn?!”

      “Hey Dad.” I say, my voice flat as I play with the edge of my shirt.

      “It’s about time you answer your god damned phone! I have been calling for weeks! Why haven’t you answered my calls!? That’s what fucking phones are for!”

      “I had other things going on.”

      “Like what!? What is so important that you couldn’t answer one of my calls for the past month?!”

      “Rodger got into a car accident. If you were a true friend you would have found that out from Steve by now.” I snap. “He had amnesia, he can’t remember anything from the past year. That is what has been more important than your stupid phone calls.”

      “Brooklyn-…”

      “Listen, I didn’t answer your call so we could play catch up or anything, I called because I wanted to know where mom is buried.” I say, interrupting him so I could get straight to the point.

      He is silent for a moment but I hear him take a deep breath.

      Another thing that has been on my mind is the fact that I wasn’t able to go to her funeral, nor have I visited her once since she has been gone. The guilt of this has been on my mind ever since I thought of it. It was eating me from the inside to the outside until one day there wouldn’t be anything left.

      “You couldn’t get there on your own….”

      “Like hell I couldn’t now tell me where she is. You owe it to me.”