Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter twenty nine

Brook’s POV

      “Thank you for letting me stay.” I say as I lean against the kitchen doorway where I find him making Eggo waffles, regardless it was night time and not morning.

      “Any time. You know I’m here.” he says, flashing a smile my way as two waffles shoot from the toaster.

      I had been here since this morning. Tanner and I had both skipped school, and with his parents being gone on a business trip it was just us. So we took the time to watch TV and eat nothing but junk food, not really talking, just enjoying each other’s presence.

      He hands me two waffles that are already buttered and covered with syrup, just the way I like them. I smile and we sit down at the small dining room table. Unlike ours, his only had four spots. Ours had like, twelve.

      I chuckles slightly to myself and he looks up from his plate.

      “What? Do they taste funny?” he asks me, looking at my waffles and I laugh a little louder.

      “No, it’s just your table is so much smaller than ours.” I chuckle and he nods.

      “O.” he says simply and I know what he is thinking.

      Every time I brought up home he would think of them. He would think of him.

      When we are done eating I put my dishes in the dish washer even after his objections and gather my things.

      “I guess I should get going.” I shrug and he nods stiffly and grabs his keys from the counter.

      “Come on, I’ll drive you.” he nods to the door before walking to it.

      “I can walk-…”

      “I’m driving you, it’s too dark for you to walk.” he says and I smile before walking towards the door.

      “Shit, hold on. Forgot my phone.” I say before running from the room and grabbing my turned off phone from the coffee table in the living room.

      We walk out of the house and to his truck before climbing silently in and backing out of the driveway. He was right, it was literally so dark, the only light was coming from the moon or the streetlamps. We are at my house in less than a minute and I am shocked to see that there are no cars in the driveway but mine. Not even Wendy’s.

      A uneasy feeling comes over me but I just tell myself they were just out doing their own stuff, shopping maybe?

      “Thank you for all your help.” I tell him, my hand hovering over the door knob.

      “Anytime.” He says before I slide out and wave goodbye and walk across the yard and to the door.

      I slip my hand under the welcome mat that lays in front of the door and grabbing the house key Wendy had informed me about. My original house key had been hanging on my key chain, which was in my room due to my hassle to leave the day before.

      I walk inside and quickly feel uneasy, I turn on the lights but the feeling continues to remain. Being in this large house with no one else just didn’t feel right. I was so used to it being filled with noise and voices I just didn’t recognize it when it was quiet.

      My throat suddenly becomes dry and begs for something to drink. I walk into the kitchen and grab a glass out of the cabinet, a piece of paper that sits on the counter catching my eyes.