Chapter Thirteen

Rodger and I hadn't spoken since the night after the party.

Neither of us so much as glanced in the direction of each other, making the tension obvious even to the oblivious boys we shared the house with.

School had been in session for two weeks, allowing me to get comfortable in my new environment. I had several 'friends' but Tanner and Monica had become my go-tos. Every day after school, we had developed a routine of smoothies, and homework at our favorite spot.

Monica tagged along when she wasn't with Marcus, which was only a few times. It seemed they spent a lot of time together, and when they weren't, her phone would blow up with missed FaceTimes and messages.

It was Thursday, meaning we were drawing close to yet another weekend. The three of us had plans to attend the football game tomorrow, and then to go back to the Parker house for a Harry Potter marathon.

"I'm so excited for tomorrow, I can't remember the last time I went to a sleepover." Monica chirps beside me, her hands playing with the straps of her backpack as we make our way through the parking lot.

The three of us chattered happily, all of us seemingly excited for a much needed friends night tomorrow. Tanner was back to his smiling self, his face healing with time, making only thin pink scars where his skin had been busted. His father had been gone for a week while he navigated a construction sight in Georgia, but he would be returning tomorrow.

As we reach Tanner's car, I watch across the lot as a familiar face jogs quickly to a red Chevy Malibu, grabbing his jersey from Trisha, Rodger shoots her a smile. They talk for a moment before she stands on the tips of her toes, leaning in to plant a kiss on his soft lips.

He turns his head unexpectedly, making the kiss land on his cheek rather.

"Monica!"

My attention is torn away from them and directed to where the voice was coming from. Sitting inside a silver vehicle, Marcus smiled at her through his open window.

"Hey, I didn't know you were coming today." She says, returning a small smile as she makes her way closer to speak with him. His eyes look around her, falling and remaining on Tanner until his girlfriend has reached him.

They talked softly, but his facial expression was no longer friendly. She continued fidgeting with her backpack, more so than typical, making me nervous.

Something wasn't right.

"Hey, we are going to run and get some ice cream, I'll see you guys tomorrow?" She tells us when she has returned. Her lips were turned in a smile but her eyes were not holding the typical shine.

Tanner and I agree, neither of us saying anything as we get into his car. Once inside, we glance at each other, telling me he had noticed the odd situation himself.

*

After yet another win, leaving our team to be undefeated 3-0, the three of us toss our empty trash into the garbage bin before making our way to start our night at my house.

Monica's phone rings in her pocket, Marcus's name shining on the screen for the fourth time since the game had started. She silences it quickly, sliding it back into her pocket without a word.

We are almost to my car when her steps begin to falter, following her gaze, I see him leaning against his own vehicle, which he had somehow landed in the parking space next to mine.

"I've been calling but you didn't pick up." Marcus says when we have gotten closer.

"It was loud inside, must not have heard it ring." She shrugs, her cheeks turn light pink as she lied, making him nod slowly. Standing in front of him, his tall build towered over her.