Chapter Nine

*This chapter has been edited, and some events have changed.*

Chapter Nine

My dad flew me home the following day.

He made the arrangements for the funeral, every few hours there would be a knock on the door of my hotel room to ask me to do some of the small things. Choose the flowers, get my favorite photos of her enlarged and framed, and to pick out her last outfit.

I drug myself through the week, her service a numbing blurr.

Mom lost her father to a drunk driving accident when she was a teenager, and she had not spoken of her mother. The entire story of her family history was never explained. Therefore, the company at the funeral included her sister, and friends. They had given tight hugs, and firm shoulder squeezes, told stories and tried to say comforting things.

My heart ached, not only for my mother, but for my friend.

I spent five days away before returning to the Parker house, my dad had offered to take more time off work, but I declined. Being 'home' wasn't so comforting anymore, the black hole of grief was consuming me.

Wendy, Steven, and most of the boys, had checked in while I was gone. I could tell they didn't quite know what to say, but they made the efforts to make sure I had everything I needed.

Stepping absentmindedly onto the esculaters of the airport, I made my descent down to the lower floor. Quickly, I send a text to my dad, letting him know I had landed.

After hitting send, a loud whistle and a hoot sounds through the obnoxious building. My eyes lift from the screen and find both Dalton and Rodger waiting below me, holding a sign with bright smiles.

'Welcome home from prison, B!'

A laugh escapes my lips, an unfamiliar action after this week's events. Seeing my reaction, they booth gleam happily as I make my way the rest of the way to them.

"How was the slammer?" Dalton belts, throwing a heavy arm around my shoulders while bringing me in for a tight side hug.

"It was hard in there, wouldn't recommend it." I reply, returning the hug gratefully.

They chatter about small things I had missed, making our way to the baggage claim. When my bags have come into view, the boys snatch them up and usher me to Dalton's Jeep that was parked in the parking garage.

The ride back was quick, music blaring as the summer wind brushed through our hair, caressing our skin. I closed my eyes, listening to the boys chime along with the tunes, pushing aside any thoughts that would bring the heaviness back.

Once the car is parked in the driveway and the ignition turned off, as if waiting for my que, the boys slide from the vehicle once I shut the passenger door behind me. Grabbing my bags, they both follow me inside where I am greeted from the rest of them, including Wendy. She must have came home while I was gone.

She smiles a warm smile, gathering me into a tight squeeze. Her hair smells like coconuts as I tuck my chin on her shoulder, accepting her embrace.

"How was your flight?"

None of them speak a word of what has happened, instead they keep the conversation over the lunch she has prepared happy, and lite.

I pry myself away, retreating to my bedroom once we have cleaned up the mess from lunch. The past week has been exhausting, between the overflow of emotions, preparations, and lack of sleep.

The boys had brought up my things, placing them on the floor beside the bed. After they are unpacked, I slip into a cool shower, allowing the water to run endlessly over my face.