Chapter Thirty Three

Two weeks later

      “When does he get to come home?” Kate asks me as we walk down the hallway to our last hour class.

      “He came home today.” I say, hugging my books tighter to my chest.

      She nods silently and then turns to me.

      “Have you heard about Daniel?” she asks me in a hushed tone so the people around her won’t hear.

      “No?” I say slowly, my heart clenching fearfully at the sound of his name.

      “They let him loose.”

      My whole body stiffens, my heart begins to pound.

      “What?” I whisper, barely even hearing myself.

      “He has probation but other than that he is free to go. I don’t think they are letting him back in the school though.”

      My mouth falls open slightly and my eyes fall on the floor.

      He’s free. He can come for me. He could do that to other girls.

      He’s free.

      “Hey, is she okay?” he says, breaking me away from my thoughts and my eyes shoot up to meet his.

      Tanner.

      I have been avoiding him ever since the accident. Well, tried. The more I tried, the more he came around. Soon he was giving me rides home due to the boys having their practices.

      “I’m fine.” I say quickly before walking away from them and down the hallway.

            “Thanks for the ride.” I say softly before opening the door and getting out quickly.  

            “Anytime.” He says, just like every day.

            I force a smile then shut the door and make my way across the yard. He doesn’t drive away until I am safely inside the house. I shut my eyes and lean against the door, breathing in a sigh of relief as I drop my bags.

            He’s out. Daniel is out, roaming free, ready to come and make my life a living hell. Ready to come back and beat the shit out of me for telling the boys. For Rodger beating him.

            Rodger.

            What if Daniel comes after him? Rodger doesn’t even remember the fight. Doesn’t even know about Daniel and what happened. He would be even more clueless, he wouldn’t be ready.

            “You okay?”

            I stifle my scream and open my eyes, finding Rodger watching me, a sandwich in his hands. I had forgotten he would be home, that I needed to avoid him, that I just needed to go to my room, skipping dinner, and not come out until tomorrow morning when he would be asleep.

            “Fine.” I manage and grab my bag from the floor as I begin to walk to the stairs but he blocks my path.

            “I don’t know much about you but I already know you’re a bad liar.” He says, squinting his eyes at me as he looks at me closely.