Chapter Three

This chapter has been rewritten and events have changed.

I'm standing in a white room, it felt more like a box. All four walls, ceiling and floor, were painted bright white, and bright fluorescent lights were almost blinding.

Across the room, she stood with her back to me. Her brown hair cascaded in perfect curls down the back of her slender figure. Everything she wore was white, pants, shirts, shoes.

"Mom?" My voice echoes as if we were standing in a tunnel.

There is no movement, she still stands completely still. My heart is racing, palms begin to sweat and I pull them into fists. Slowly, I take steps towards her, my footsteps are loud in the piercing quiet room. I stand behind her for a few seconds, confused as to why I felt so fearful of my own mother.

"Mom." This time, it comes out as a whisper. I reach out gently, putting a light hand on her shoulder and turn her to face me.

Her makeup runs with tears down her cheeks, leading to the duct tape placed over her lips. Standing so close, I am easily able to read the words sprawled out in black marker on her mouth.

'Help'.

My lips are trembling, eyes moving down as I take a small step back. Every sense has heightened, heart pounding so hard I can hear it in my ears, breaths coming short and quick.

I saw a flash of color, the bright red shining bright against the pure white of everything around us.

Blood.

It ran down her hands, dripping from her fingertips onto the tile floor. There were two large gashes on both of her wrists, my eyes moving to find a bloody knife on the floor behind her. I take another step back, my feet slipping out from underneath me and I landed in something warm.

Lifting a hand of my own, I find they now look much like hers. Her blood was puddled around me, soaking into the white clothes I wore. With shock, I watch as it begins to rise over my feet, gradually moving to cover most of my skin. The white room was filling with her substance, and I searched for her, finding no one but myself.

My stomach is churning and tears burn my eyes, I was treading in my now deep surroundings, kicking and thrashing to stay afloat. The ceiling was getting closer and closer, meaning I was running out of room.

I was running out of time.

Her name left my lips numerous times but she never came, my cheek was now pressed to the white ceiling as I gasped for air.

A final scream leaves my lips before the room is filled the rest of the way up, sucking me underneath.

*

I wake with a jolt, my entire body coated in a heavy sweat. My eyes scan my surroundings, almost finding them unfamiliar before remembering my newfound residence.

Lifting my hands, I find my skin clean, making my heart pace slow down slightly. The room was dark now, I reach over and turn on the lamp on the bedside table, making a soft light beam, allowing me to come back to complete reality.

1:30am

A few moments go by as I quietly sit on the bed, one hand clutching a handful of my comforter tightly. I force myself to get up, attempting to brush off the nightmare that was still making my skin crawl.

The water shoots from the showerhead as I twist the knobs, getting underdressed, I slip inside, shutting the glass door behind me. I close my eyes and stick my face under the water, allowing for the warm liquid to cascade down my body. A flash of red goes through my mind and I rip the door open, rubbing the water from my eyes as I frantically look in the mirror.