Chapter twenty

Chapter twenty

      “You still alive in here?” Thomas says softly as he pokes his head through the crack between the door and the frame.

      I am still wrapped in the covers of my bed. I look to the alarm clock and see that it is one. I have only gotten up to feed the little fur ball that sleeps in its bed beside me. I peek up and around the covers and meet his gaze.

      “Wendy told me to tell you we are going ‘school shopping’ but if you didn’t feel like going today then you can go some other time.” He explains, keeping his eyes on mine.

      “I’ll go.” I say, my voice hoarse.

      He nods before shutting the door. I get up and take a shower and brush my teeth. I get dressed in a pair of ripped jeans shorts and my baby blue converse and a white t-shirt. I let my long brown hair dry and hang down to my waist before throwing on some lite makeup. I feed the squirrel before I head downstairs and find everyone in the dining room. I take my seat beside Thomas and Dalton and rub my face in my hands but jerk them away when I remember I put makeup on.

      Wendy tries to hand me a plate but I shake my head, not wanting to eat anything. I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. I feel someone’s eyes on me and look up to find Rodger watching me. When our eyes meet he doesn’t look away this time, instead he keeps my gaze, letting our eyes lock.

      When everyone is done eating they put their plates in the sink and we head towards the garage. Garran, Lucus, Logan, and Brady are going to be riding with Wendy. Rodger, Dalton and I will be riding with Thomas. Thomas slides into the driver’s seat and Dalton into the passenger seat, leaving me to sit in the back with Rodger.

      Rodger and I slide into the backseat awkwardly and I strap on my seat belt and look out the window. My hand rests on my leg, and his on his. I want nothing more than to reach over and clasp his, to squeeze it, to lean over and press my lips to his again. He turns his head and his eyes meet mine and then look down to our hands. His hand moves slowly at first before moving quicker as he takes my hand in his. I look at our hands and then up to his eyes. Something in them tells me he wants to kiss me as much as I want to kiss him.

      I squeeze his hand and he returns it with one of his own, without thinking I lean over and press my lips to his cheek. Thomas and Dalton are to caught up with a argument about football to care of even notice. Rodger looks at me, puzzled by my movements and I smile slightly. His lips pull up and he leans forward, then tries to pull back but I quickly close the distance between us and press my lips to his. Everything he said yesterday has left my mine and has been replaced with my feelings for him.

      His hand moves to rest on my leg and when we pull away I cover it with mine. That’s how we sit for the rest of the drive, both thinking about the kiss and what will come of the future.

      When we reach the house I lug the many bags up to my room. Most of them are filled with clothes but there is plenty of school things inside the bags also. I unpack all my things and put the stuff in my closet and the supplies in my messenger bag before feeding the squirrel and pulling out my journal.

 July 21, 2012

     Things have gotten better, confusing, but better. The confusion is based on Rodger. One second he is kissing me and the next he is pushing me away. I don’t understand.

     I am no longer ashamed of them. I wear short sleeves, no jackets, no covering. And even with them flaming red and pink from the recent incident I don’t mind. The more I don’t think about them it seems the more other people don’t seem to notice them. The scars are becoming my past, and no longer my weakness.