Chapter Twenty Seven

            “Ugh! I am so tired!” Kate whines, throwing herself down onto the pile of blankets we have made into a bed.

            “Me too!” My new friend Warren says, flopping down on top of her, his back pressing into her face as he spreads out, blocking her way of escape. “Night guys!” he says, his voice teasing as he pretends to snore, making me laugh as I watch Kate try hard to escape from under him.

            “Get off me Fatty!” she says, her voice muffled by his body.

            He sits up slightly, plastering on a fake pained expression. “Excuse me? I am not fat!”

            “Yes you are! I can’t even breathe!” she exclaims.

            This has went on all night, their flirting. It was obvious that they liked each other but neither knew how the other felt. I smile, knowing that they would find out soon.

            I turn and walk out onto the porch, needing some fresh air. I lean against the railings to the porch and gaze around me, letting my thoughts take me away.

            Why had everyone acted so weird when I had told them who I was hanging out with? Why had Rodger been so surprised? Why didn’t they want to let me come here?

            “You okay?” I hear Tori say and I turn, finding her also leaned against the railing, raising a eyebrow at me.

            “Yea, just needed some fresh air.” I nod and she nods also.

            We are silent for a moment and I gaze back across the yard, watching as a squirrel runs through the darkness and I smile, thinking of Sandy. She has gotten huge since I first found her.

            “We used to hang out with her you know.” Tori says softly and I look back to her.

            “Who?” I ask slowly, not knowing who she was talking about.

            “Hillary.” She whispers.

            My eyes go wide and she looks at me, emotions written clearly on her face.

            “We hadn’t known what was going on… hadn’t even guessed about what she was going to do…. The only person who could have had any guess about it was Rodger and he didn’t even think she would do something like that.”

            I am frozen, running her words through my head.

            “When it happened…. Rodger kind of shut down. He wouldn’t talk to anyone, all the girls though it would be a good time to get a jump on him cause he was grieving but he never had anything to do with any of them.” She shrugs before looking back to me. “But he looks at you like he used to look at her. He is protective over you and we can all tell how much he cares.” She says softly.

            I feel myself blush and hope the darkness is making it impossible to see.

            “But I still have to worry.”

            “About what?” I ask her.

            “You and him.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “Just be careful, alright? Just beware of the Parker boys, all of them.”