Chapter Eight

* This chapter has been re-written and some events have changed. *

Chapter Eight

My iPhone blares loudly beside me, making me groan as I pull the pillow over my ears. It felt as if someone had beaten me over the head with a 4X4 the night before.

When the ringing stopped, I lay still for a moment longer, not wanting to subject my eyes to the bright sunlight that beamed through my windows. Blindly, I reach a hand out, patting around until my fingers find the cool, metal device. I wince that the brightness, immediately sliding the control panel down to turn down the brightness.

The screen is filled with missed notifications, calls, texts, social media. Both of their names beam at me and my churning stomach clenches.

Wendy, and my father.

Did they know we went to a party last night? Are they mad?

Was something wrong?

Dad: Call me.

Dad: Brook, this is urgent.

Dad: It's about your mother.

Sitting up quickly, the pillow falls into my lap. Ignoring the need to be sick from both the text message, and last night's escapades, I quickly selected his name in the call log.

He picks up on the first ring, obviously waiting for me to return his call.

"Brook,"

"Where is she? Are you with her now?" My feet pace across the bedroom, back and forth quickly as I chew my nails, waiting for his response.

"Something's happened-.."

"What's the matter? What happened?" The questions are flying from my lips, breaking him off without intention as I ramble in a panic.

"Brooklyn, listen to me." His tone was firm, but behind it, I could hear the words were slightly broken coming from his mouth.

I stop pacing, my teeth remain still from nibbling at my nails. The grip I have on the iPhone is so tight I wait for the screen to cave in.

"We found your mother in a hotel about two hours away from your old apartment." His voice trails, notifying me that there was more to the sentence, he just wasn't wanting to finish.

"She's dead Brook." His voice falters, running goosebumps down my spine and my entire body freezes. My stomach lurchers, swallowing hard, I resist the urge to empty my stomach onto the wooden floor. "She hung herself."

"No, are you sure that was her? Did you see her? Maybe it was a mistake-..."

"I went down and identified her after they called, it was her."

She hung herself.

"Let me come, let me make sure that it was her. Please, I have to make sure-.."

"Brook, listen to me." His voice shakes slightly, trying to break through my reeling mind. "I went down there, I looked. I don't want this to be true anymore than you do, but it was her."

She hung herself.

"Dad, please. It's not her, it can't be her." The sob escapes my lips and I finger press my fingers against them, as if holding them shut. My eyes sting with unwanted tears, overflowing onto my cheeks.

"I'm unbelievably sorry."

I feel my legs give out from under me, making me land heavily onto my knees. The phone slides from my grasp, clattering to the floor.